PDA

View Full Version : Website for blacklisting dodgy tenants

Ericthelobster
05-12-2005, 23:12 PM
Someone on here started a discussion a couple of months back about how good it would be if there was a way of blacklisting bad tenants and that landlords could access; I think the general consensus was that it would be unworkable especially for data protection reasons.

Well - I've just come across www.referenceyourtenant.co.uk which does just this! It claims to be registered under the DPA; I don't know how they're allowed to be... eg just check out the 'sample reference' at http://www.referenceyourtenant.co.uk/reference-view.asp?RefID=7.!!

Comments?

MrShed
05-12-2005, 23:15 PM
As I said in the thread(I believe it was Energises(?) idea and I was thinking about following it up), I contacted the DPA, who said that personal details would not be an issue, as long as it is stated in tenancy agreements that the tenant has no objection.

I must say though, that although they may get away with that one on DPA(IF they have followed the above), if they have comments like that they will not be getting past libel laws for long!

MrShed
05-12-2005, 23:19 PM
http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=730

My apologies it was dazalock :D

One of my last posts(last or second last page) has the email I got from the DPA posted in.

todj
06-12-2005, 09:56 AM
How about a website for blacklisting dodgy landlords?

In my experience they are just as many of them around! (or maybe it's just me that's had bad experiences).

justaboutsane
06-12-2005, 10:00 AM
I have just had a nosey at this, I have received my RLA magazine and it was advertised in there.

I am not convinced, I did a search on some popular names and nothing came up! It also says Free membership until July 2005. . or you can sign up for annual membership of £250... I think that kind of money for possibly out of date or inaccurate data is not on. It looks as though you can opst information without being a member so anyone can post anything on there. Someone with a grudge could post anything they like.

The only way forward on something like this is to show evidence, ie court order and/or pictures. It is still on very dodgy ground!!

MrShed
06-12-2005, 10:23 AM
It's not going anywhere fast thats for sure....hasnt been thought out very well.

Ericthelobster
06-12-2005, 10:40 AM
I did a search on some popular names and nothing came up! It also says Free membership until July 2005. . or you can sign up for annual membership of £250... I'm guessing it's a new site and has very little data as yet, and they're hoping that by providing short-term free membership they will encourage enough LLs to enter enough data to reach a critical mass before they start charging.

MrShed
06-12-2005, 10:45 AM
They are relying very very heavily eric however on the tenants in question not finding out. They are in breach of the law on both libel and DPA - I have checked their T&Cs and there is nothing enforcing landlords to have a clause in their AST requiring permission to put such information up.

Energise
06-12-2005, 17:59 PM
However, it seems the data has not been secured properly - you can get access to the data by simple manipulation.

I see what you mean, and £5 a time to search and view from the grand total of 33 records.

lucid
07-12-2005, 12:22 PM
I think many of these are fakes so far 33 in total. Fred Bloggs...very believable and as an example one tenant referenced, later is apparently posting references of another??makes no sense.

I think it is a complete scam and as said earlier in breach of data protection.

Should be nipped in the bud and shut down in my opinion.

*Edit*

fred bloggs is the example isnt it but all the same its an identity theif's paradise

names, addresses, national insurance nos and date of birth!!

what next, will they be including bank details!

Deedy1
13-12-2005, 17:55 PM
I agree with todj here! Everything seems to be geared toward the LL's! We have been renting in the Surrey area for just over five years now (we are going to buy as we do like the area), but we have come across some atrocious LL's. Us tenants have to fork out huge amounts of cash to move into a home in the first place, we have to make sure we don't (god forbid) spill anything on the carpet, or knock a nail into a wall (even if there are already hundreds on the wall, be assured that the inventory clerk will have counted them, and spot yours and you will be forced to pay for a whole new wallpapering session/bucket of polyfilla/paint). We are also expected to remove all curtains and have them professionally cleaned, (um why?) professionally clean all carpets - even if the bloody things were not professionally cleaned when you moved in! It is ok for us tenants to move into a filthy house, but not the landlord eh! Conversely, we have had some wonderful LL's too, but the greedy bad far outweigh the good, and you now have the audacity to think of starting up yet another referencing agency to pry into our already over-scrutinised personal details! For God's sake where will it end? If one appears for tenants, I will personally start one for LL's and bloody letting agents - don't get me started on them - they are the WORST!

This site is an absolute dream - I feel so much better now. I think I'm going to go away and start up a Tenants Support group so that we can all have a good old bitch!

Deedy

paul_c
11-12-2006, 13:34 PM
You're posting this on a landlord's forum and wondering why it's orientated towards landlords? Strange that!

I agree with todj here! Everything seems to be geared toward the LL's! ............................

Ericthelobster
11-12-2006, 17:23 PM
You're posting this on a landlord's forum and wondering why it's orientated towards landlords? Strange that!
Well...

If you read the post, he's actually talking about "the system" not this forum; and in fact he concludes by stating "this site is an absolute dream"

But anyway, you're responding to a post of nearly a year ago; and the poster hasn't been seen since last January, so it's all a bit academic!!!