PDA

View Full Version : Tenant left cooker on- damage caused- who pays?

Dirty Stop Out
05-12-2005, 19:49 PM
A tenant of mine recently left the grill on their cooker on and caused it to burst into flames. The fire brigade came, and told me that it wasn't a fault with the cooker, rather the tenant had left it on. The tenant was adament that it was off, but I am covered with what the fire guys told me. I have replaced the cooker but am I in my rights to get the tenant to pay me back for the cooker, the fitting and the cost of getting rid of the old cooker?

MrShed
05-12-2005, 21:04 PM
Yes - very simply you are. In those circumstances. Your issue is with proving he was negligent in this way.

Energise
05-12-2005, 21:15 PM
Yes - very simply you are. In those circumstances. Your issue is with proving he was negligent in this way.

The Fire Brigades report proves it.

Poppy
06-12-2005, 09:14 AM
Do you have an official written report from the Fire Brigade with their opinion as to the cause of the blaze?

Ericthelobster
06-12-2005, 09:46 AM
It's a total no-brainer: the grill was switched OFF but they claim it still managed to burst into flames? (and didn't burn the house down?) Puh-lease!

Jennifer_M
06-12-2005, 10:42 AM
Surely there's something wrong with a grill that bursts into flame because it was on! Don't these things have some kind of safety mechanism ?

Dirty Stop Out
06-12-2005, 14:26 PM
It burst into flames because they left a tray with a frying pan on it in the grill part of the cooker....heat and fat don't mix. It's nothing to do with any safety device, just neglect on their behalf.
Thanks for all your opinions and advice guys....a bill is on the way to the tenant!

charger
07-12-2005, 19:56 PM
Sure he must have left it on.
best thing is to get the written fire brigade written report, and if the tenants insist in saying it was off, he should get a proper fire expert investigator at his own expenses.
If a cooker is off and still bursts into flames, then the flames would have burned the all house. That's a serious problem and very rarely happens.