PDA

View Full Version : Electrical safety

jimllshiftit
04-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Does a rented property need an electrical safety certificate?

The house is let unfurnished with no white goods or any other electrical appliances.

SEB
04-09-2008, 12:53 PM
There is currently no legal requirement for an electrical inspection.
However, it is generally recommended that you have one done and it does not cost very much.

If the inspection unearths something that could have caused a problem either to the tenant, to you or to both, you will be very thankful it was found by an electrician and not by a lay person, if you see what I mean.

Jolanta Nowak
04-09-2008, 13:01 PM
Did I not hear some talk a year or so ago about them bringing in such a requirement?

SEB
04-09-2008, 13:03 PM
Did I not hear some talk a year or so ago about them bringing in such a requirement?

There has been talk for some time.
Some letting agents actually think its now a requirement, but its not - yet.

Probert31
04-09-2008, 14:03 PM
I understood it was a legal requirement for the electric to have been tested and certificate issued by an NICEIC (or equivalent) registered electrician. This is to help the landlord rather than the tenant because if the tenant did something stupid with the electrics and the landlord had not had them tested where is your proof that they were safe at the date of occupation. Even if it is not a legal requirement is not just good practise to have one done.

mind the gap
04-09-2008, 14:13 PM
It is a legal requirement to have such a certificate every 5 years for an HMO, covering the electrical installation, plus it is recommended that all portable electrical appliances are safety-checked yearly.

jeffrey
04-09-2008, 16:51 PM
If the inspection unearths something that could have caused a problem either to the tenant, to you or to both, you will be very thankful it was found by an electrician and not by a lay person, if you see what I mean.
...especially if it unearths something unneutral- or else OP ends up unlive.

Rayder
05-09-2008, 13:04 PM
Some time ago my ex LL told me that she had to get a powerpoint (I think) moved in the kitchen as it didn't fit in with some sort of regulations. It's only now that I've left that I realise a year later, nothing was done.

neil.daines
05-09-2008, 13:37 PM
Not sure if this will help, but I was told yesterday it isn't a legal requierment yet, but advised to do it. I will this time as one of the problems ive got with my ex T is several smashed sockets and a smashed light fitting:eek:.

SEB
05-09-2008, 14:36 PM
Not sure if this will help, but I was told yesterday it isn't a legal requierment yet, but advised to do it. I will this time as one of the problems ive got with my ex T is several smashed sockets and a smashed light fitting:eek:.

What the hell is going on in your house?

jeffrey
05-09-2008, 14:55 PM
What the hell is going on in your house?
They spend all their time getting smashed- not just alcopops but alcochildren!

sunshine
09-11-2008, 16:58 PM
I am renting out a commercial property (car showroom etc) on a full repairing lease. The tenant who is repsonsible for the contents insurance has just been advised by his insurers that they need an electrical safety certificate.
We have spoken to our insurers and they said it is not required.
Is this a legal requirement on comercial property and if not can the insurance copmany insist on one?:rolleyes:

jeffrey
09-11-2008, 22:39 PM
I am renting out a commercial property (car showroom etc) on a full repairing lease. The tenant who is repsonsible for the contents insurance has just been advised by his insurers that they need an electrical safety certificate.
We have spoken to our insurers and they said it is not required.
Is this a legal requirement on comercial property and if not can the insurance copmany insist on one?:rolleyes:
Please re-post this item on COMMERCIAL PROPERTY forum, where more replies will be forthcoming.

Mrs Jones
10-11-2008, 14:51 PM
I think that some of the confusion comes from the fact that I believe there is a requirement now for any (new) electrical installation work to be checked by an electrician qualified to carry out such checks and a certificate issued indicating that such works have been carried out in a satisfactory and safe manner.

I have had a lot of electrical work done on one of my properties and I have just checked some documentation issued to me - it is called a Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate and was "issed in accordance with British Standard 7671 - Requirements for Electrical Installations by a Domestic Installer registered with the National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting (NICEIC)"

I am not 100% sure that this is a legal requirement, but I certainly felt happier to have had all the installation checked and certificated. I believe a different type of certificate is issued if the equipment/installations inspected are not new.

The Landlord/Home Owner Gas Safety Record is issued annually after a check by a Corgi registered operative and is a legal requirement for all let properties with gas installations.