PDA

View Full Version : Does this potential tenant sound dodgy?

gizzmo
02-12-2005, 14:29 PM
I wonder if I could trouble you experienced officienados out there for some advice.
I have a property ready to let out and am looking for some tenants. After 7 years of using agents, teh last time turned into a nightmare anyway - and I learned so much about the process that I am comfortable to do it myself for the next one.
A potential tenant came by yesterday to see my place and is very interested in going ahead - so I gave him the Tenant Verify Forms to fill in. However he advises me that:

1) He has only been in this country for 1 year - and does not have 3 years address history. He is from Poland.

2) He doesn't have a Bank Account as his Bank closed it due to some problems with direct debits not stopping and he now has to open another account - but he can't until he gets his new address. So its a catch 22 situation apparently.

All my instincts tell me to steer clear of this one with a bargepole - wondering what everyone else thinks. If he has a suitable a guarantor, would that make him a better risk?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Gizzmo.

MrShed
02-12-2005, 14:34 PM
Hmmmm. So where is his money that would have been in the bank account?

gizzmo
02-12-2005, 14:58 PM
Good Point - he says he will give me cash up front for a month's deposit and a month in advance. The flat is for him and his wife - who I also met. They seemed a very nice couple. They took off their shoes when they saw that the carpets were all brand new.

He doesn't seem opposed to providing a guarantor. So presumably if the TenantVerify checks pass on that basis - should I have anything to worry about?

MrShed
02-12-2005, 15:00 PM
In my opinion, if he can prove to you the cash he has that would be in the bank account(even if this means physically showing you), and he has proof of income(I assume he is working?) then personally I would think it OK, as long as you get a guarantor.

gizzmo
02-12-2005, 15:36 PM
Ok - Thank You very much for your help Mr Shed.
Both him and his wife have provided employment references which would be checked out by TenantVerify as well - and they do have 6 months bank statements for their previous bank account - although it has been closed now.
I'll get more details on the guarantor as well.
Cheers

slick
04-12-2005, 19:52 PM
I don't know, what is your 'gut' feeling about them?

gizzmo
05-12-2005, 09:12 AM
Hi Slick.
I really liked them - but since things didn't seem to add up I gave them the guarantor forms. If they can provide a suitable guarantor then I'lll proceed. But its a been a few days and I haven't heard back from them. So I guess that may be the end of it.
They do seem honest and genuine - but then I'm not the best judge of character. They also said that they couldn't provide last landlord details as apparently he was renting without declaring to the taxman and he told them that if he is asked then he would deny they lived there. So things just seem to get worse and worse.
My gut instinct now is to stay clear.

attilathelandlord
05-12-2005, 11:13 AM
Do. Not. Touch. With. Bargepole!