View Full Version : Who's best for home (buildings/contents) insurance?

20-08-2008, 18:04 PM

Can anyone tell me what are the best home insurance providers on the market in terms of customer service?

I am with more than at the moment and have been messed around no end even just to get the policy papers.

I've read that zurich and hiscox are supposed to be better.

I'm readt to pay and extra 5 to 10 pounds if i get better odds on getting better service if i ever needed to claim.

Also another question: last year our belongings were in storage at one of these storage places and they got flooded. We took out a policy in our name and claimed on it and was settled at 500 pounds. Should I disclose this when i am asked if i've had previous claims? The websites do not let you specify that the claim was not actually in our home.

Any advice would be appreciated.


20-08-2008, 19:56 PM
For home insurance I would recommend Liverpool Victoria.

20-08-2008, 22:16 PM
There are about six or seven price comparison websites. Try ask.com, search against "Home Insurance", and the sponsored links appear. I found- and currently use- Halifax (as insurer, not as mortgagee); the service is satisfactory so far.

21-08-2008, 08:04 AM
I may be a bit biased on this but even if I was not in the insurance business I would recommend using a broker. There are many reasons for this and customer service is one of them.

I'm not saying they will be better or worse than going to an insurer directly for customer service but in terms of a claim (which is obviously where you want customer service to be best) you will usually get a better service from a broker.

The reason being is that you've got 2 people on the insurer's case. You, the person who wants the claim settled, and the broker, who knows all the right things to say to the insurer to help you get the best result. This normally results in a quicker, more satisfactory result.

21-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Hello from the insurance topic expert
I won a major award for customer service beating all the names mentioned

Old Hand
28-08-2008, 14:31 PM
Try joining a landlord Insurance Block Policy, this means you join in with other landlords and get the benefit of discounted premiums, and you are not paying for flash insurance offices. I use www.landlorddirectinsurance.co.uk ask for Puja shes great and really experienced, if you have any property questions..a real breath of fresh air and will get you discounted AXA Landlord Insurance cover.

04-09-2008, 13:34 PM

I have my six properties insured with Zurich for BTL, they give discount for multiple properties, even though not based on a group scheme. I had to claim for smoke damage in one of the properties, some local neds thought it would be funny to set the bins on fire in the communal stairwell !! Anyway, they dealt with the claim very efficiently..