PDA

View Full Version : Can you rent out just a room with no other facilities?

SarahMajor
28-11-2005, 21:59 PM
Is it legal to rent out a single room....with no access to a kitchen or bathroom...not ever shared? God knows who would want it anyway.....unless it was given planning permission to be used as an office?

Just curious.

Energise
28-11-2005, 22:08 PM
Is it legal to rent out a single room....with no access to a kitchen or bathroom...not ever shared? God knows who would want it anyway.....unless it was given planning permission to be used as an office?

Just curious.

No, not for residential purposes.

MrShed
29-11-2005, 02:55 AM
Contrary to Energise, at least partially, you can rent anything for any reason. Whether it is suitable for a tenancy agreement, and therefore suitable for someone to live there, as Energise hints at, is another thing entirely. But I could rent you a square foot of my room if I wanted(any takers?? :D).

LMT
29-11-2005, 16:57 PM
As a landlord I often need somewhere to store furniture (when tenants sometimes don't need items of mine). When I plan to fit a bathroom in a period between tenants I need to have the parts delivered & ready so that I can get moving as soon as the first tenant is out. I sometimes find a garage is just not suitable for this type of thing - especially soft furnishings, mattresses etc. In this case, my concern would be easy access - no stairs, no difficult hallways etc. Then again I would probably only pay as much as I would for garage rental, and would want a lock on the door. Might be one idea to pursue. If you had such a room available you might suggest the idea to local agents etc to see if they have a landlord with those sort of needs.

SarahMajor
29-11-2005, 20:15 PM
As a landlord I often need somewhere to store furniture (when tenants sometimes don't need items of mine). When I plan to fit a bathroom in a period between tenants I need to have the parts delivered & ready so that I can get moving as soon as the first tenant is out. I sometimes find a garage is just not suitable for this type of thing - especially soft furnishings, mattresses etc. In this case, my concern would be easy access - no stairs, no difficult hallways etc. Then again I would probably only pay as much as I would for garage rental, and would want a lock on the door. Might be one idea to pursue. If you had such a room available you might suggest the idea to local agents etc to see if they have a landlord with those sort of needs.
Sorry if it sounds rude but I did not understand one word of that.

caroline7758
29-11-2005, 21:08 PM
Seemed clear enough to me- he/she was suggesting a possible use for a room without any facilities, i.e. as a store room, an alternative to a garage.