PDA

View Full Version : What exactly constitutes a 'kitchenette'?

SarahMajor
27-11-2005, 18:21 PM
I am in dispute with an estate agent who seems to think that getting some old cupboard, dumping a microwave ontop and placing a small fridge next to it on the floor suddenly creates a 'kitchenette'. Surely no running water/sink takes away any physical possibility of this being a kitchenette, just like I am never going to be a supermodel. (I am 50, overweight and just under 5ft tall) Every 'Kitchenette' I have found advertised for sale has a SINK.

Definition of kitchenette on dictionary.com - "small kitchen".

(this is regarding a studio, with a seperate bathroom. Only way to wash dishes, get drinking water etc is from the bathroom)

MrShed
27-11-2005, 22:13 PM
I would say that there is no definition of a "kitchenette" other than that given to you by the landlord/agent in question, and that contained within the actual property in question. Is this a new build? Or an existing build. If existing then you have absolutely no argument as this is something you should have checked prior to moving in. If it is a new build, I sympathise somewhat more. What was verbally and in writing agreed with the agent?

Patois
28-11-2005, 08:51 AM
You haven't posted much detail about your letting but for a 'dwelling' to be "fit for human habitation" under the Housing Act 1985 Fitness Standard (which is still in force) it should have the following:

'Satisfactory facilities for the preparation and cooking of food including a sink with a satisfactory supply of hot and cold water'

My authority would expect a kitchen to have the following:

suitable fixed kitchen sink with adequate puped supply of hot and cold water, suitable drainage etc..;
adequate fixed work surface;
adequate cooking facilities (this could just mean a suitable fixed gas supply pipe or designated electrical socket);
sited so as not to be prejudicial to safety.

Lack of a sink would fail the standard

Your local Environmental Health dept of the Council should be able to advise further.

SarahMajor
28-11-2005, 22:55 PM
Patois,

Thanks...but I'm not entirely sure what you mean. What about a single room for rent with no cooking facilities at all? in that case any single room would not be legal with no cooking facilities. BUT....maybe you mean that somehwere in the property, shared or otherwise, a proper set of kitchen facilities must be in place?

Energise
28-11-2005, 23:06 PM
Patois,

Thanks...but I'm not entirely sure what you mean. What about a single room for rent with no cooking facilities at all? in that case any single room would not be legal with no cooking facilities. BUT....maybe you mean that somehwere in the property, shared or otherwise, a proper set of kitchen facilities must be in place?

Yes, I am pretty sure that is what he means.

Are you renting a room in a house with the shared use of a kitchen that is outside of your room? (I know that is a seperate issue as to "what is a kitchenette").

A problem is if you viewed the room and accepted it as you saw it, or was a promise made to install a kitchenette?

Or?

Patois
29-11-2005, 07:51 AM
'A dwelling house' is deemed to be unfit for human habitation and hence not suitable for occupation without kitchen facilities including a sink with a suitable piped hot and cold water supply. Housing Act 1985 s604 - guidance in circular 6/90

Lets cut to the chase shall we?
The room you have - whether a bedsit or whatever should have either its' own or access to kitchen facilities under the same roof - either for your exclusive use or shared.

The sharing issue is another thing - HMO etc etc.
either contact your landlord then the Environmental Health Department in your local council and let them sort it out or move somewhere else.

SarahMajor
30-11-2005, 19:58 PM
Patois, I like you!

People - this person knows his stuff.