PDA

View Full Version : Prospective new tenant not on electoral roll...

Ericthelobster
24-11-2005, 19:01 PM
...should I be concerned?

I've just got my tenant verification report back from Equifax, which shows that he has never got his name on the electoral register for some reason, despite having lived there for several years. And although he's middle-aged, there's nothing on his credit history at all beyond 7 months ago, which seems a bit odd to me. Am I missing something here? Would that relate to the lack of an electoral roll entry?

He's very personable; I've spoken to his current letting agent and his (long-term) employer, who both sing his praises; I've also checked his passport and bank statements.

Any thoughts?!

MrShed
24-11-2005, 23:32 PM
Thoughts:

- I personally wouldnt touch them with a barge pole. Someone very close to me(a family member) kept themselves off the electoral roll for years to prevent certain debts from following them. There seems, to me, to be no other reason to not be on the electoral roll.

- Bear in mind that the previous letting agent may want rid of them if they are bad tenants!

Just my opinion, and I'm sure there will be other reasons for the strange circumstances! He hasnt been out of the country for a while has he?

davidjohnbutton
25-11-2005, 00:06 AM
I would not take the sole fact that he is not on the electoral register as the reason to decline him.

I used to be one of the canvassers for the Electoral Registration Officer - one of the people who help compile the main register which was at the time published each year for people who qualified on 10th October - of course it is a rolling register now and names are added on as they arise instead of each year as before.

Reasons I had for not putting them on the register were given as:-

1. I am not a british citizen (sometimes incorrectly assumed)
2. I was not born in britain.
3. I am a police officer (or other official) , I do not want criminals or undesirables to know where I live
4. I do not wish to vote.
5. I have religion/medical etc. reasons for not going on the register.
6. I do not want to get called up for jury service.
7. I do not live here.
8. I am under 18 or over 65 (over 65's are still shown on the register)

and when each of these excuses, and more were given, I was expected to check with the Registration Officer as to directions whether to include them or not.

Your chappie may have a perfectly valid reason why he is not on - ask him!

MrShed
25-11-2005, 00:09 AM
And hence corrected :)

However, I would still say that that combined with the lack of credit history is too much for my mind. 7 months is not long enough really, even a REALLY bad spended would have trouble damaging their credit in that time :p

That said, DJB's advice is sound, ask them why about these things! They could have perfectly valid reasons.

lucid
25-11-2005, 01:20 AM
Aren't there 2 lists available. I seem to remember when filling in the form that there was a box to tick so you could avoid being on the public register if you wish but still be registered to vote, perfectly legally. And I know for a fact that in one property that tenants had done the same and filled in the form ticking that box. But when a letting agent did credit checks on the property it came up as nothing. Even though the tenant had been there for years and each time filled in the form.

Ericthelobster
25-11-2005, 08:25 AM
Aren't there 2 lists available. I seem to remember when filling in the form that there was a box to tick so you could avoid being on the public register if you wish but still be registered to vote, perfectly legally. And I know for a fact that in one property that tenants had done the same and filled in the form ticking that box. But when a letting agent did credit checks on the property it came up as nothing. Even though the tenant had been there for years and each time filled in the form.Yes you're right there, it's a relatively new thing; TBH it hadn't occurred to me that for people who tick the box, they won't appear on these credit checks. As more and more people opt out, isn't it going to make the whole credit history checking thing pretty much useless?

I'll ask the prospect about it, anyway.

What I'm not clear about, is can someone completely cut themselves off from their credit history by not registering on the electoral register? Is it really that easy to avoid debts? According to this guy's record, the only entry in his credit history is that he has opened an account 7 months ago - that's it. He's lived at that address for 4 years. He has a bank account for which I've seen statements; wouldn't any bad debts have caught up with him?

nellenjo
25-11-2005, 10:15 AM
i have just got rid of my tenants - who seemed v nice etc and i now find that they have paid for no utilities the whole time they have been in my house - they were taken to court for water rates the gas and electricity was going to be cut off - i have had to contact all utilities, etc I just hope the house isn't blacklisted

They had moved around a lot and weren't on the electoral register.

Sadly my tenants came via a supposedly reputable letting agency - Who I'm now in dispute with.

lucid
25-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Eric sorry really no idea, just remembered about that box thing thought it might be relevant.
;)

cris/c
04-12-2005, 18:21 PM
I had a tenant in virtually the same situation as this. Short credit history simply because she had never used any kind of credit whatsoever. No credit cards, DD's cheque guarantee cards, store cards etc., not even mail order catalogues. She managed a deposit account and used a cashpoint card to withdraw cash for everything. Lived at home with aged parents, so no rental history.

Consequently, no credit rating good or bad. My tenant was advised, by a rental agency, to apply for and use a credit card, and use a current account at her bank to build a credit rating. Her lack of credit history prevented the agency from putting her on their books as a prospective tenant.

I took her on personal recommendation and she has proved to be the best tenant I have.

Difficult one though. The e roll wouldn't put me off, but the lack of credit history would need explaining. Hard to believe in this day and age, but there are still people out there who don't operate their financial lives using credit.

slick
04-12-2005, 20:49 PM
If someone isn't on the roll, it doesn't mean they are dodgy, or trying to hide something! There are lots of reasons why, some people just can't be arsed to vote!! If you are still not sure, you could ask that person to provide a gurantor.