PDA

View Full Version : whose side are letting agents on

nellenjo
22-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Hi
Advice needed…
I have been renting my house out for over 2 years through a letting agent having moved in with my partner. We are now at the stage where I’m ready to sell my house.

I finally got my last lot of tenants out last week – they’d had a 6mts assured tenancy and despite me telling the Letting Agent in July (2 mts before the end of the AT) I was selling it, he sneaked in without telling me monthly tenancies until I insisted on notice being given.

My rent has always been 2-3 weeks late firstly the LA said they’d problems setting up the standing order – but from what the LA has since said they never had one.

My house was an absolute tip when they left – it took three cleaners a over a day to clean.

Household items were taken - microwave, 2 phones, lamps, computer desk, pictures, etc

The rent hasn’t yet been paid – this and the cleaning should come out of the deposit.

I’ve changed the locks.

I rang the insurance company that the LA ties you into – to find that I couldn’t claim for the loss/theft of my possessions or for changing the locks. What is the point of having building and contents ins if I can’t claim on it?

The gas and electricity have threatened to cut supplies off for non payment of their bills.

The letting Agent doesn’t seem to be chasing up my possessions – he said they were returning them yesterday – I rang y’day and he said he hadn’t been able to contact them – I feel fobbed off by the LA.

I’m annoyed at the sloppy and unprofessional attitude of the letting agent – I don’t now think they did financial checks on these tenants. They seem to want to take the management fee and do nothing.

What can I do???
Should I complain, and to whom would I complain to??
Is this a police matter?

caroline7758
22-11-2005, 09:17 AM
I think the answer to your question is "their own". We let our property through a letting agency and as far as we could see all they did was take the money! However, we were naive and did not use an agency who were members of ARLA (Assoc.of residential letting agents). I think if yours is, you should be able to get help through them. You can check membership on their website http://www.arla.co.uk/

Jennifer_M
22-11-2005, 12:39 PM
Household items were taken - microwave, 2 phones, lamps, computer desk, pictures, etc

The rent hasn’t yet been paid – this and the cleaning should come out of the deposit.

Take the tenants to small claims court if there is any amount outstanding once you've used the deposit.

The gas and electricity have threatened to cut supplies off for non payment of their bills.

The bill should be in the tenants' name. Tell the utility companies that the tenants have left and that they have to chase the tenants for the money and it has nothing to do with you.

The letting Agent doesn’t seem to be chasing up my possessions – he said they were returning them yesterday – I rang y’day and he said he hadn’t been able to contact them – I feel fobbed off by the LA.

Again just take the tenants to small claims court if they're not returned and the deposit doesn't cover their cost.

What can I do???
Should I complain, and to whom would I complain to??

If the agent is member of ARLA or NAEA you can complain to them.

Is this a police matter?
No

Hope it helps