PDA

View Full Version : Surprising things done by tenants

mind the gap
08-07-2008, 20:55 PM
Thought it might be interesting to share some experiences of surprises (nice or otherwise) provided by tenants. So far some of ours have managed/ attempted to:

paint the lawn with purple paint whilst drunk
break a window by trying to climb in whilst drunk, then deny culpability on the grounds of being too drunk to remember the incident
melt the carpet by ironing on it
use the electric kettle to heat hot-dog sausages in brine (and left the brine in)
urinate in pint glasses and tip contents out of bedroom window
deny responsibility for the gas bill on the grounds that they thought hot water was piped in free from outside, 'like cold water is'

(Still waiting for the nice ones).

J.D.D.
08-07-2008, 21:00 PM
I'm going to go on a limb and say your tenants are students!

The iron one is surprisingly common though! The kettle one is of course a fantastic idea because it saves on washing up - I suggest we all try it!

mind the gap
08-07-2008, 21:14 PM
You guessed!

The kettle idea may indeed save on washing up, but the downside is the vomit resulting from subsequent use of brine to make coffee by other unsuspecting tenants.

mind the gap
08-07-2008, 21:36 PM
Also (nearly forgot)...

causing a Saniflo system to flood by flushing a pair of boxer shorts down the toilet THEN moaning the other toilet was also unusable because nobody had changed the light bulb in there because it was too dark to see (?!)
breaking down a bathroom door from inside because occupant 'forgot how the handle worked'

Pelican eats pigeon
08-07-2008, 21:39 PM
Doesn't sound like there'll be much deposit left for many of them at this rate... How many of these are the same tenant?

mind the gap
08-07-2008, 22:02 PM
Several different tenants over two years, but one in particular who, terrifyingly, is now a member of the legal profession!

J.D.D.
08-07-2008, 22:05 PM
When my old boss lived in a big student house, they got rats in one of the bathrooms. What did they do? They superglued the door shut and used the other one!

mind the gap
09-07-2008, 08:10 AM
At least the rats would not have had to share a bathroom with the students. Our sausages-in-kettle guy encouraged a feral rat to come and live inside (neither had many friends), but the rat left after a week. Used to a more varied diet than Pot Noodle and vodka?

jeffrey
09-07-2008, 10:21 AM
When my old boss lived in a big student house, they got rats in one of the bathrooms. What did they do? They superglued the door shut and used the other one!

Is no rat. Is hamster. Man in shop, he say so.
I am from Barthelona.

Sorrel
09-07-2008, 13:36 PM
Is no rat. Is hamster. Man in shop, he say so.
I am from Barthelona.

Better than a dead parrot...:o

Pelican eats pigeon
09-07-2008, 15:41 PM
Please let me know what town you let flats in so I can make a mental note to keep well clear of the place and its inhabitants.

mind the gap
09-07-2008, 17:10 PM
Better than a dead parrot...:o

Give me a dead parrot rather than a live rat any time. (Anyone know any good recipes?)

As prospective buyers we viewed a BTL house full of 'young professionals' one of whom owned, or was, a mutant rabbit with its own room, TV and chocolate fountain. Carpet scratched threadbare, all-pervasive stink of rabbit wee and double bed full of little droppings. We passed on that property.

mind the gap
09-07-2008, 17:52 PM
Please let me know what town you let flats in so I can make a mental note to keep well clear of the place and its inhabitants.

Where do you think? First person to guess correctly gets a dead rat, a pot of purple paint and something unspeakable in a pint glass as their prize.

Clue : it's a student city somewhere in Britain

The Welsh Dragon
09-07-2008, 19:42 PM
My brother in law let out a house to tenants who moaned bitterly about the colour scheme and offered to re-decorate the lounge themselves. He agreed, and paid an agreed amount in advance for paint, wallpaper, etc. On his next visit to the house he discovered that every square inch of the lounge walls had been decorated using the separate sample sheets torn out from about sixteen different wallpaper books. It became something of a local feature and stayed like that for twenty-two years. Even the next lot of tenants didn't want to change it, claiming 'there are so many different patterns, you never get bored'.

Tenants on the largest housing estate in Europe (somewhere in South Wales) drove the last remaining shopkeeper to close after they vomited in his deep freezers for the sixth Saturday lunchtime in a row.

My sister's student son and his housemates befriended a tramp, let him live in the garden shed of their rented house and use their bathroom, in return for gardening and odd jobs. Oddly enough, landlord wasn't keen.

Pelican eats pigeon
09-07-2008, 20:21 PM
Where do you think? First person to guess correctly gets a dead rat, a pot of purple paint and something unspeakable in a pint glass as their prize.

Nottingham?

Die Burgermeister
09-07-2008, 20:33 PM

Newcastle?

Poppy
10-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Rondon? (As my Chinese ex-lodger would say ;))

Keep the dead rat for a different competition. I'll have the pot of purple paint and take my chance on the unspeakable something in a pint glass.

Pelican eats pigeon
10-07-2008, 14:04 PM
Rondon? (As my Chinese ex-lodger would say ;))

Keep the dead rat for a different competition. I'll have the pot of purple paint and take my chance on the unspeakable something in a pint glass.

Can't be London, OP said there was a lawn...

jeffrey
14-07-2008, 13:16 PM
Wimbledon is in SW London and has a lawn, but it's only for:
a. tennis; and
b. two-three weeks a year (although it seems a lot longer).

mind the gap
14-07-2008, 13:42 PM
Nowhere as posh as Wimbledon. Go grim - go north.

mind the gap
14-07-2008, 13:45 PM
Next clue : if last year was anything to go by, this place might not be around for much longer. The rats will probably survive.

jeffrey
14-07-2008, 13:45 PM
Nowhere as posh as Wimbledon. Go grim - go north.

Nah, Wimbledon must be grim. How else do you explain Vinnie Jones (or the Wombles "making good use of the things that [they] find, things that the ordinary folk leave behind"?)

mind the gap
14-07-2008, 14:01 PM
Nah, Wimbledon must be grim. How else do you explain Vinnie Jones (or the Wombles "making good use of the things that [they] find, things that the ordinary folk leave behind"?)

True, always thought Uncle Bulgaria was a bit of an old perv. But they had a cool house.

Sorrel
14-07-2008, 14:15 PM
Next clue : if last year was anything to go by, this place might not be around for much longer. The rats will probably survive.

ooo ooo me sir me sir! is it a place in Yaaaarkshire?

mind the gap
14-07-2008, 14:22 PM
ooo ooo me sir me sir! is it a place in Yaaaarkshire?

Yuh. Tha's reet, cock.

Sorrel
14-07-2008, 14:25 PM
Yuh. Tha's reet, cock.

Oi watch it or I wont play!:(

Don't think that certain expression would go down to well in my neck of the woods!

mind the gap
14-07-2008, 14:41 PM
Good grief! That's the POLITE version round here!

Sorrel
14-07-2008, 14:46 PM
Well are you going to put us all out of our long suffering misery as to where this magical city of yours is?

I think I could name the towns/cities on one hand that Iv actually been to so I don't think I'll ever solve this conundrum.

Owt south of the Tyne is just that South!:rolleyes:

mind the gap
14-07-2008, 15:38 PM
Well are you going to put us all out of our long suffering misery as to where this magical city of yours is?

OK then. Hull. But (she added hastily) I don't live there myself. Big problem with rats. And the whole place is sinking. They have some fascinating roundabouts, though. And it's the gateway to the North Sea, although it's not exactly the Med. So, hardly 'magical'. But Hull people like it, I suppose?

jeffrey
14-07-2008, 15:47 PM
So Hull's not the fourth-best place in the beautiful south?

Sorrel
15-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Ah Hull, I used to drive through there on my 'white van man' route. Never felt the urge to stop there though...

jeffrey
15-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Ah Hull, I used to drive through there on my 'white van man' route. Never felt the urge to stop there though...

If heading due east, you must stop there- or else fall into the North Sea.

Sorrel
15-07-2008, 09:50 AM
If heading due east, you must stop there- or else fall into the North Sea.

Well part of it was Whitby to Grimsby and I liked taking the scenic route along the coast, downside was i had to pass through Hull...altho I'd prefer Hull to Grimsby any day

mind the gap
15-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Well part of it was Whitby to Grimsby and I liked taking the scenic route along the coast, downside was i had to pass through Hull...altho I'd prefer Hull to Grimsby any day

The only time I ever went to Grimsby, the main street was blocked by an overturned load of dead fish. It's hardly Monte Carlo, I agree.

gdturn
15-07-2008, 12:05 PM
ah, Hull. My brother was a student there.

So was a lass who became quite a famous TV presenter in the eighties. I don't know if it's true but there was a story involving her, a pool table and the rugby team which I couldn't possible repeat! :eek:

jeffrey
15-07-2008, 12:23 PM
ah, Hull. My brother was a student there.

So was a lass who became quite a famous TV presenter in the eighties. I don't know if it's true but there was a story involving her, a pool table and the rugby team which I couldn't possible repeat! :eek:

1. Nor could they (older, wiser, sobre now).
2. Was that a cue in their pocket, or were they just pleased to see her?
3. It adds a new meaning to "Oop and Under".
4. Eddie Waring wouldn't be amused. That's all you're gettin' now...

gdturn
15-07-2008, 15:29 PM
I just googled Eddie Waring and read: "To those of a certain age, Eddie Waring’s trademark trilby and contorted vowels..."

This tells me two things! ;)

jeffrey
15-07-2008, 15:40 PM
I just googled Eddie Waring and read: "To those of a certain age, Eddie Waring’s trademark trilby and contorted vowels..."

This tells me two things! ;)

...whilst your need to google his name tells us something quite opposite.

Pelican eats pigeon
15-07-2008, 23:47 PM
Well, since I had no intention of venturing anywhere near Hull, I'm temporarily safe at least.

jeffrey
16-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Well, since I had no intention of venturing anywhere near Hull, I'm temporarily safe at least.

With east-coast erosion and supposed sea-level rises resulting from global warming, anyway, Hull is only a temporary problem...

mind the gap
16-07-2008, 12:38 PM
With east-coast erosion and supposed sea-level rises resulting from global warming, anyway, Hull is only a temporary problem...

Not for the Hullies!

Pelican eats pigeon
17-07-2008, 00:34 AM
The 'temporarily' safe means that I'm still worried about where the Hullites will turn up when the place does sink...

mind the gap
17-07-2008, 08:07 AM
The 'temporarily' safe means that I'm still worried about where the Hullites will turn up when the place does sink...

Rotterdam? (Depending on the tides). Alternatively, Barnsley. It's a bit like Hull, but without the North Sea. The language is similar, and the bus service is cheaper.

Izzycam
19-07-2008, 13:52 PM
One of my tennants was too lazy to let his cat out for a wee, so used to lower it down on a rope out of the bedroom window. If it wasn't so god- dam cruel I'd laugh. There's so many incident's I could write a book about it!!!!

mind the gap
25-07-2008, 12:10 PM
There's so many incident's I could write a book about it!!!!

Tell us more!

Izzycam
28-07-2008, 18:20 PM
Another lady tenant (we'll say lady just for the hell of it!) decided it would be clever to write to as many prison inmates as possible and let them doss in the house when they came out and use it as an address to file complaints against police and various insurance claims and scams.

Pelican eats pigeon
29-07-2008, 00:10 AM
Any particular reason why she decided to do that?

mind the gap
01-08-2008, 16:44 PM
Any particular reason why she decided to do that?

Probably for a fee.

The Welsh Dragon
13-08-2008, 21:16 PM
In 1977 a friend of mine moved into a house in Reading with five student friends. Part of the the house had been used as a dental surgery and the dentist had died on the job, as it were. Before they moved in they had to sort out all his stuff including a huge crate of plaster dental impressions.

As the box was too heavy to lift, they ended up taking the false teeth impressions out of the box one at a time for use around the house. Paperweights, sink plugs, ornaments, missiles to throw at stray dogs, raffle prizes, props in a play, craft activities for wet afternoons, etc, etc. One of the students did Fine Art and he used about a hundred of them in his degree installation.

The other strange thing about that house was that when they were viewing it it there was only one light bulb, which had to be moved round from room to room. They always intended to buy more but never got round to it, so they just used the one bulb where the need was greatest. They saved a fortune on electricity bills.

agent46
15-08-2008, 10:31 AM
I once had someone coming down from Birmingham to meet me. Regrettably, he had neglected to bring either a map or a sat nav, and about an hour before the meeting time, he telephoned me for directions and an estimate of the journey time remaining. He was on the A1 at the time so it was important to find out roughly whereabouts he was before I could help him, so I asked, "Tell me what you can see", (meaning landmarks, road signs etc), to which he replied in a thick brummy accent, "I can see a fire engine". "Oh really?" I replied, "Is it big and shiny?" :rolleyes:

He never did make the meeting.

nick4692
25-08-2008, 18:47 PM
apart from the domestics!
we had a tenant call up and say "argos are delivering my new sofa between 1pm and 4pm" seeing as your agency manages my tenancy can someone from your company please be available at my property as I have to be at work"

or

the tenant who ran a credit card fraud ring hug from her bedroom
(we inherited this tenant when we took on a new landlord and didnt find her ourselves i hasten to add!)

jeffrey
26-08-2008, 09:28 AM
the tenant who ran a credit card fraud ring hug from her bedroom
For we uninitiated, what is a ring hug? Sounds a bit pervy.

mind the gap
31-08-2008, 20:06 PM
For we uninitiated, what is a ring hug? Sounds a bit pervy.

That thing rugby players do before proceeding to break each others" necks in a scrum?

And before you start, yes I am having problems with my apostrophes!

(Whenever I press the apostrophe key, it takes me out of my reply box and back to the forum question. Tedious!)

For we?!

mind the gap
31-08-2008, 20:13 PM
Back to tenants & surprises....

It seems that one of our student tenants left a note on the dustbin last week, directing the bin men to knock on the door and collect the six big bin liners full of rubbish which she claimed were too heavy for her to cart downstairs by herself!

Glad I wasnt around to hear their considered response!

The Welsh Dragon
08-09-2008, 19:27 PM
My daughter arrived at her new student house this weekend and found one of the previous tenants on his knees, in the garden, slashing away at the lawn with a breadknife. Apparantly the landlady had told him to cut the lawn or he wouldn't get his deposit back. It all went a lot faster once my daughter mentioned that she'd seen on the inventory that there was a lawnmower in the shed.

PhoenixPropertyShop
15-09-2008, 15:21 PM
The two most memorable things that I remember from working in my previous job at a letting agent were:

1) When showing some prospective new tenants around a property, we were all quite shocked and embarassed to walk into one of the bedrooms and find a variety of sexual implements (for want of a better word) spread all over the walls, bed and floor. Needless to say I informed the prospective tenants that they had to look beyond the tenants possesions and try to imagine a blank space! (easier said than done though!)

2) A group of students who were having there penultimate inspection before moving out, about a month before move-out date, had arranged a party to "celebrate" the inspection the night before. I walked in to the house looking like a bomb site with cans, bottles etc. everywhere and a banner unfurled in the lounge with "HAPPY INSPECTION" on it! Very amusing at the time, and pleasingly, the house was immaculate on move-out!

mind the gap
15-09-2008, 15:38 PM
[QUOTE=PhoenixPropertyShop;92179 2) A group of students who were having there penultimate inspection before moving out, about a month before move-out date, had arranged a party to "celebrate" the inspection the night before. I walked in to the house looking like a bomb site with cans, bottles etc. everywhere and a banner unfurled in the lounge with "HAPPY INSPECTION" on it! Very amusing at the time, and pleasingly, the house was immaculate on move-out![/QUOTE]

Mmm...that was trusting, having the inspection a whole month before move-out! Or was it a pre-inspection inspection?

PhoenixPropertyShop
15-09-2008, 15:56 PM
Mmm...that was trusting, having the inspection a whole month before move-out! Or was it a pre-inspection inspection?

Yes, we opted to have a pre-inspection inspection to ascertain any properties that we might have had problems with!

mind the gap
15-09-2008, 16:55 PM
How sweet that they thought the pre-inspection inspection was worth partying about!

(Although it has to be said that students don't generally need an excuse).

jeffrey
16-09-2008, 09:14 AM
How sweet that they thought the pre-inspection inspection was worth partying about!

(Although it has to be said that students don't generally need an excuse).
Perhaps they were going to party like it's 1999?

Izzycam
21-09-2008, 11:38 AM
We've got a lovely class of tenant around here... Last week I put an advert in for a few of my houses to let, One eloquent phonecall came from a lady who seemed to pass all the criteria for the house until she came to her job description.... (Oh it's ok I'm a proffessional money's no problem) what was the proffession ........"I'm a call girl "she stated quite unashamedly..... I must remember to tell the two 80 year old women living next door not to worry about the red light !!!!! :)

mind the gap
21-09-2008, 12:17 PM
We've got a lovely class of tenant around here... Last week I put an advert in for a few of my houses to let, One eloquent phonecall came from a lady who seemed to pass all the criteria for the house until she came to her job description.... (Oh it's ok I'm a proffessional money's no problem) what was the profession ........"I'm a call girl "she stated quite unashamedly..... I must remember to tell the two 80 year old women living next door not to worry about the red light !!!!! :)

It's beyond belief that she thinks anyone in their right mind is going to rent a house to her knowing that. My friend is a fully-qualified, bona fide, not in the least bit dodgy, sports injuries physiotherapist and even she had to be very careful about how she described herself/her job when she applied for a flat recently! Seems anything involving the word 'massage' or 'manipulation' is to be avoided at all costs!

jeffrey
21-09-2008, 22:39 PM
For we?!
"For we uninitiated" is correct.
It's short for "For we who are uninitiated".
It could hardly be "For us who are uninitiated": us + are must be incorrect!
Singular should be "For I who am uninitiated." Proof: just try "For me who am unitiated"!
QED

mind the gap
21-09-2008, 23:47 PM
"For we uninitiated" is correct.
It's short for "For we who are uninitiated".
It could hardly be "For us who are uninitiated": us + are must be incorrect!
Singular should be "For I who am uninitiated." Proof: just try "For me who am unitiated"!
QED

At the risk of sounding like a boring old fart, I must disagree.

It is not 'us + are' because the verb 'are' is governed by the relative pronoun 'who', not by the word 'us', which is part of a different construction. It is definitely 'For us' not 'For we', because the preposition 'for' always governs the object (accusative) case. You wouldn't say 'A present for we/I/he', would you?

So, interestingly (!), we have the start of a main clause (For us), interrupted by a subordinate clause/post-modifying phrase (who are uninitiated/the uninitiated, then the rest of the main clause, which happens to be a question : what is a ring hug?

I agree with you that 'For us, the uninitiated' sounds more natural, and that 'For me, who am (stupid, or whatever) sounders even wronger..but it ain't. I've definitely seen it in Litritcher. (From around 1700, probably!)

I can't believe I've just written all this! Goodnight.

Izzycam
22-09-2008, 06:48 AM
Re, Jeffrey, Mind the gap........Get a life, Ha!Ha!

mind the gap
22-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Re, Jeffrey, Mind the gap........Get a life, Ha!Ha!

Izzycam: Thanks for the advice. While we're doing that, why don't you go and get some punctuation lessons? Ha! Ha!

Izzycam
22-09-2008, 13:15 PM
Yes I agree, it's atrocious, so is my spelling, I don't know where I went wrong !!! I knew I should have taken English as my Primary subject instead of Quantum physics.;)

jeffrey
22-09-2008, 13:21 PM
Yes I agree, it's atrocious, so is my spelling, I don't know where I went wrong !!! I knew I should have taken English as my Primary subject instead of Quantum physics.;)
At least you'll have a Quantum of Solace.

mind the gap
22-09-2008, 17:09 PM
At least you'll have a Quantum of Solace.

Yes, I've always gone for Bulk Buys.

mind the gap
01-10-2008, 16:03 PM
Back to weird tenants?

I was phoned at 11 pm last night by a tenant in one of our student properties who wanted to tell me that one of the other tenants (hitherto her bezzy mate), was outside her bedroom door saying bitchy untrue things about her to another tenant. She also moaned because the bitching one had left a load of dirty pots in the sink.

She did say that she realised there was not much I could do about it, she 'just thought' that I 'would want to know'. I was speechless with rage and unable to tell her that I couldn't give a flying ****.

I'm obviously too sympathetic;) Made mental note to be much nastier to them in future.

Izzycam
02-10-2008, 08:05 AM
[QUOTE=mind the gap;95049]Back to weird tenants?

I was phoned at 11 pm last night by a tenant in one of our student properties who wanted to tell me that one of the other tenants (hitherto her bezzy mate), was outside her bedroom door saying bitchy untrue things about her to another tenant. She also moaned because the bitching one had left a load of dirty pots in the sink.

She did say that she realised there was not much I could do about it, she 'just thought' that I 'would want to know'. I was speechless with rage and unable to tell her that I couldn't give a flying ****.

I'm obviously too sympathetic;) Made mental note to be much nastier to them in future.[/QUO
Just imagine,these so called students are our future! 11.oclock (the cheek).
On the subject, One of my tenants owed me a lot of backdated rent so to help them out I asked if they would like some work for a couple of days to help pay it off, This followed a saga of laughable proportions where the tenant turned up late for two days, left early for one, cut his hand (a nick) and asked for compensation. Then on the last day asked for the wages to be paid direct to him and not come off the rent arreas........I don't know why I haven't lost my mind yet.

oaktree
02-10-2008, 13:40 PM
We had a russian tenant who spoke very little english, it was his first time out of russia. The landlord had left behind some essentials to help him, tea, coffee, toilet rolls, light bulbs etc.

Two weeks after he moved in he called the office and started babbling about 'body cleaning' and 'round papers'. He got handed over to me and after 5 minutes I figured out that he had run out of toilet rolls and wanted us to bring him some more! Before I had a chance to give him one of my more colorful replies he managed to squeeze in that it was 'urgent and you could come to this house now?' The mental picture that instantly formed in my mind of him standing with his trolleys around his ankles, demanding toliet paper NOW, while on the phone will be with me for many years.

Same tenant, 6 months in, called to report the toilet flush not working. I was passing by so said I would drop in later. I get there and the toilet is flushing fine; full head of water, water levels are right, no problem. Standing in the bathroom, he then tells me that when he flushes 'my dirty not go to where hole is, it stays on place of water". I'm desperatly trying to keep a straight face and get around to telling him that I suspect its more of a dietary problem than a plumbing issue - which he takes offence to. He thens asks me to wait to 'see problem' OK , says I. He then starts to drop his trousers in order to demonstrate the problem first hand while I'm in the room!! I didn't wait for the sit down perfomance!

Another tenant called to report a broken flush late one afternoon. The plumber went over and sure enough the syphon needs replacing. He disconnects it and tells the tenant that the flush won't work until he replaces the syphon in the morning but that if they need to use the toilet he has left a bucket next to it.

I get an irate call from the tenant at 8.30am asking if the plumber is on his way back and that it is unreasonable to expect them to live this way. Whats the problem I ask -

"my husband slipped off the bucket this morning and hurt his back" There is stupid and then theres really stupid.

Then theres the tenant who didn't clean her flat from the day she moved in until the day she moved out nine months later. The landlord, in order to save a few pounds, wanted to do inspections himself - which he never bothered to do.

On the day of the checkout I went around to find the tenant, immaculate in business suit, waiting by the door. The flat is horrendous - carpets thick with dust, the bath had a ring around it that you could scrape off with your finger, the cooker is thick with grease and cobwebs everywhere. "This is disgusting "says I, "I couldn't agree more" she says " your cleaners haven't been back since the day I moved in"

It took me over an hour to convince her that we didn't provide a cleaning service for tenants and that she sould have done it herself, and I'm sure to this day she thinks she was hard done by.

Most memorable was the young chap who moved into to a little one bed flat and asked for permission to 'do some painting' The flat was a little tired so we agreed on the proviso that it was done properly and in sensible colours. This guy had previously rented from a larger agent who had give good references.

4 months later I went to do the first inspection; he wasn't in so I let myself in (he'd told us he would be at work and to help ourselves)

The first thing to hit you as soon as you opened the door was a battleaxe! or at least an airbrushed one being wielded by an extremely likelike 6'6" bare breasted amazonian warrior that had been airbrushed onto the wall opposite the front door.

One corner of the lounge, where his desk was, had been painted like a mad professors laboratory with old stone walls, shelves with potions and bottles, giant rats hiding behind old books, cobwebs - all airbrushed onto the walls. The bedroom had a giant anaconda wrapped around the 4 walls - twice - with its tail grasped between its fangs above the headboard!

The coup de grace was inside the cupboard; on the inside of the door he had painted a 'hole' torn in the back of the door from which a horde of demons were spilling out and sliding down the door.

He painted over everything with magnolia when he left, leaving it perfect with the exception of the door which the landlord insisted on changing - at his own expense - so he could have the picture framed!

The day I stop being amazed at tenants - and landlords - I'll be in my grave.

The Welsh Dragon
09-10-2008, 10:19 AM
The day I stop being amazed at tenants - and landlords - I'll be in my grave.

Yes, how about a thread for surprising things done by landlords?

My daughters landlord came round to the property while they were all out at lectures, allegedly to check the gutters but ended up making himself a full English breakfast using their food. And he left them the washing up!

Izzycam
09-10-2008, 21:51 PM
Re: suprising things done by landlords?.... we can't do anything suprising we're too afraid to be sued or sent nasty letters from Shelter, enviromental health ect.

mind the gap
09-10-2008, 22:08 PM
Re: suprising things done by landlords?.... we can't do anything suprising we're too afraid to be sued or sent nasty letters from Shelter, enviromental health ect.

Random acts of kindness always go down well!

Mrs Dingle
09-10-2008, 22:56 PM
My daughter had a lodger ring up and said that one of the lodgers were drunk and locked in the toilet. Shall he break down the door? Without a whim she went round and shinned up a ladder to the first floor and although awkward she chucked a jug of iced water over her in the bath.Which awaked the tenant! Thus saving expensive door repair. Can anyone second that for innovation?

Izzycam
16-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Re: random acts of kindness go down well.
I'm afraid I'm still thinking on this quote.
One year I went out and bought christmas presents for certain tenants children, it still didn't stop them thinking the world owed them a living.
I would like to think that my sense of decency hasn't been eroded by years of being a ladlord, but I would be lying if I said it hasn't.
Too many bad experiences I'm afraid , it just makes you more wary.

davidjpowell
16-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Seen a few random acts of kindness by LL. Day after my daugher was born our landlord came round for some reason or other, but very welcome as he brought a bottle of bubbly with him. Unfortuntaley he wanted to sell the house and we could not agree a price (nearly three years later he is now asking less than my offer so feel vindivcated).

Where we are now the gates broke, which are electric and trapped us in the house. We had agreed I would be responsible for the gates, as otherwise he would just disconnect them. Given the above daughter is now 3, not something I wanted. I rang him, just to find out who he used for maintenance, and he diverted to the house, took the mechanism to pieces, had some manufacturing done at a workshop and returned it. A true gent!

mind the gap
16-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Seen a few random acts of kindness by LL. Day after my daugher was born our landlord came round for some reason or other, but very welcome as he brought a bottle of bubbly with him. Unfortuntaley he wanted to sell the house and we could not agree a price (nearly three years later he is now asking less than my offer so feel vindivcated).

Where we are now the gates broke, which are electric and trapped us in the house. We had agreed I would be responsible for the gates, as otherwise he would just disconnect them. Given the above daughter is now 3, not something I wanted. I rang him, just to find out who he used for maintenance, and he diverted to the house, took the mechanism to pieces, had some manufacturing done at a workshop and returned it. A true gent!

It restores one's faith in human nature, I agree.

I once left a bunch of freesias in each new tenant's room in a shared student house for when they moved in, only to be rung up by one suspicious recipient demanding to know 'what they were for'!

jeffrey
16-10-2008, 09:57 AM

I once left a bunch of freesias in each new tenant's room in a shared student house for when they moved in, only to be rung up by one suspicious recipient demanding to know 'what they were for'!
Free Siamples.

mind the gap
16-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Free Siamples.

Quite. And much nicer than the free samples left in pint glasses by one young lady (?) on her bedroom windowsill later in the year. (See post 1 on this thread).

Norm
16-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Yes, we opted to have a pre-inspection inspection to ascertain any properties that we might have had problems with!

That seems a very sensible thing to do giving the tenant a month to repair / replace any damage prior to moving out. That would mean he'll get his deposit back quicker and the landlord will be able to install a new tenant without having a vacant property while repairs are carried out. Makes sense.

Sorrel
16-10-2008, 11:12 AM

Why would you think students would like flowers? If they can smoke it, eat it, snort it or drink it, chances are it will die or be forgotten about

davidjpowell
16-10-2008, 11:19 AM
I still remember my first student house, where the landlord introduced himself as my name is Chris, but you can call me Stan. Confused we were, but he was a good landlord, and even mowed the grass when it was needed.

mind the gap
16-10-2008, 12:31 PM
I still remember my first student house, where the landlord introduced himself as my name is Chris, but you can call me Stan. Confused we were, but he was a good landlord, and even mowed the grass when it was needed.

Obviously high on weeds.

mind the gap
16-10-2008, 17:12 PM
Why would you think students would like flowers? If they can smoke it, eat it, snort it or drink it, chances are it will die or be forgotten about

I thought they might like to press them between the pages of their big tomes.

mind the gap
08-11-2008, 20:19 PM
I'm glad this didn't happen in one of my properties; a work collegue told me about it. When his son and seven friends moved into a rented student house in Leeds, they decided to 'liven up' the sitting room (lovely Victorian parlour, bay window, decorative cornices, tastefully decorated, etc., etc), by turning it into a permanent karaoke party club : they built a small raised stage, installed disco ball, stage lights and amps, painted the walls weird colours, made the mantelpiece into the bar and kept the room in near darkness at all times, day and night.

Every night was party night and people came from miles around. They even paid to get in, (to karaoke the night away, pretending to be Kylie Minogue, Eric Clapton or whoever). The housemates also charged for alcohol and some nights they put on food and made a tidy profit out of that, too. Some nights, fights broke out, but Leeds General Infirmary wasn't too far away and no-one actually died.

The thing that amazes me most is that despite numerous complaints by the neighbours about the noise (not to mention the various illegal activities going on in the property), the landlord only ever spoke to the tenants once all year - and that was to bring them a Christmas card!

mind the gap
12-12-2008, 17:27 PM
Same colleague, different son. (He had five, God help him).

This son moved into in a house in Norwich with three other 'young professionals' (something of a misnomer).

Within a couple of months, the bath waste was almost, but not quite completely blocked (with grease and hair and general yuck - the shower was above the bath); it drained a bit, but extremely slowly. They had, in addition, broken the back door by kicking a football against it . Because they didn't want to admit to (and pay for) the broken door, they didn't tell the LL about the blocked bath and just put up with standing in four inches of scummy cold water with other people's body hair in it, in order to have a shower every morning. One of the four was especially fastidious, so he would stand in a washing up bowl surrounded by, but not actually in contact with, the scummy water.

All four went off to well-paid jobs in the world of finance, commerce and the law, and I bet their work colleagues never dreamt what depths of grossness their feet had seen that morning.

It never seemed to occur to them either to invest in a plunger and some Mr Muscle, or to call a plumber in. The bath was finally unblocked (by one of their girlfriends, who had been drafted in to help clean) the day before they all moved out.

Impartial Advice
13-12-2008, 20:53 PM

Hmmm easy now.... that's my little patch :)

mind the gap
20-01-2010, 23:32 PM
Right, that's it. Definitely the most surprising thing a tenant has ever done.

We have one student tenant who pays his rent half-yearly. He paid half when he moved in last July, and the other half at Christmas. I have just looked at my bank account, to discover he has paid yet again.

More money than...?;)

jeffrey
21-01-2010, 12:01 PM
A law student?

Poppy
21-01-2010, 15:41 PM
he can count?

mind the gap
21-01-2010, 15:42 PM
A law student?
No, a medic this time. I vowed I'd never have another law student after the last one.

Argumentative blighter, he was. :D

jeffrey
21-01-2010, 16:31 PM
As if a lawyer would be argumentative with you; the very idea!

mind the gap
21-01-2010, 16:34 PM
As if a lawyer would be argumentative with you; the very idea!

Yes, incredible, I agree. :rolleyes:

jeffrey
21-01-2010, 16:37 PM
Yes, incredible, I agree.
No, you don't.

Izzycam
22-01-2010, 06:10 AM
Another suprising thing done by a tenant for you.
This time it's not a funny anecdote.
A tenant of mine who could never turn up for appointments or be there for house checks or rent payment, because she had to go to appointments for cancerous cells in her nether regions.
She used to have my sincere sympathy and understanding as one of my close friend's was suffering from the same thing, only unfortunately the latter stages.
Turns out it's all a load of crock, she has told the same thing to the Housing Advice centre, The council, and various other people and it's all rubbish, Apparently she has also told different people her son is in hospital with meningitis and it's untrue.
What on earth is wrong with people, I feel an absolute mug.

jeffrey
22-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Munchausen's disease/syndrome/by proxy. See http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=munchausen's+syndrome&meta=&aq=0&oq=Munchausen's.

Izzycam
22-01-2010, 10:50 AM
It really does make you think, is it an illness or pure wickedness.

jeffrey
22-01-2010, 11:03 AM
It ain't pure, at least. Of course, if it is a mental condition, it's hardly the individual's fault.
On the other hand, if she's simply a criminal attempting a scam, there's no difference from any other thief.

mind the gap
22-01-2010, 16:01 PM
It ain't pure, at least. Of course, if it is a mental condition, it's hardly the individual's fault.
On the other hand, if she's simply a criminal attempting a scam, there's no difference from any other thief.

I agree. However there is a point at which some people who feign serious illness and continue for a prolonged period, may actually come to believe in it and even experience symptoms.

I thinnk Munchausen's is a little different as it involves secretly and purposefully inducing illness in yourself (or in another person in your care) purpose, then 'feeding off' all the medical attention and sympathy the condition generates.

remyrobson
23-01-2010, 20:23 PM
An extreme example of Münchhausen's by proxy:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8472655.stm

It's horrifying to think she got away with it for so long.