PDA

View Full Version : End of AST and Rental Increase

dman
30-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Hi I hope you can help, I have looked through the forums for relevant information but I wanted to get a concise answer to my particular question...
The tenants in my property are finishing their 12 month AST in 2 months. I want to increase the rent at the end of the period and put them onto a new AST agreement.
What is the best approach? Should I send them an official notice (S13?) now with a new tenancy agreement to sign and a covering letter explaining the increase in rent.
If they dont want to pay increased rent I would like them to leave at the end of the period and find new tenants. Would I have to serve a S20 notice to get them to leave at the end of the tenancy?

What are my legal obligations:
A to increase the rent for the new tenancy and
B to get the tenants out at the end of the 12 months if they dont want to pay increased rent.

Thanks Dman

jeffrey
30-06-2008, 10:07 AM
1. There is no point serving Notice under s.13. The procedure operates only for a periodic tenancy.
2. Instead, you can:
a. serve Notice under s.21 (to protect right ot obtain possession when old term ends); and
b. send Counterpart of new AST (fixed term) for T to execute.
3. Best is:
a. first, to invite T to execute new Counterpart NOW, even though it will have commencement date in two months' time; and
b. second, if T refuses to execute, serve s.21 at once.
4. As you'll be serving s.21 Notice during old fixed term, it will be under s.21(1)(b). Its possession date will be after the LATER of:
a. expiry of old fixed term; and
b. two months from service date.
5. Finally, upon new AST beginning, old one is impliedly ended.