PDA

View Full Version : Where can i download the Real free Ast ?

storex7
12-11-2005, 11:29 AM
HI please could you inform me where I can download the Ast for free, and also what are the risk not to have one with the tenants, but an agreement with basic rules only .?
Appreciate

nask70
12-11-2005, 16:23 PM
if u want i have a ast which is very good.

dazalock
12-11-2005, 16:29 PM
Sorry, but this is the most important legal document you can have when renting out your property, if you cant afford to get a good AST for a couple of quid and you want to risk your property by using a freebie, you are opening up yourself to problems.

storex7
13-11-2005, 15:09 PM
NasK 70

Hi could you pls send it to me ?

Dazalock

pls tell me what kind of probems ? have been told that you have an ast the tenants have got more rights and with many rights they might be against you too. If they have not got one you can invite them off the property when they don't pay rent . Is that true , but of course it is always better to have one
thank you for your help

MrShed
13-11-2005, 15:25 PM
If they have not got one you can invite them off the property when they don't pay rent . Is that true , but of course it is always better to

No, thats absolute rubbish. A tenancy is not created by an AST agreement, it is created by the act of paying rent, and as such they will still have rights.

With respect storex, dazalock is 100% correct, the AST is vitally important for you to get spot on. And, apparently, you have a severe lack of knowledge of the rental area, is it really wise for you to be a landlord?

storex7
13-11-2005, 19:25 PM
Mr Shed

Sorry, i was not born landlord and i bet neither were you .
In this forum we can learn a lot from each other, and i only report facts from landlords who have between 10-20 properties .
My next stage is the study of the tenants/landlord law .

Few months back when i was renting it happened to mr too .
I didn't have an ast and the landlord use to come every afternoon from 3pm to 9pm playing drums and guitar, as he's an artist too.
I politely complained many times, and all he could say was : "Mate it is not written anywhere that i can plain drums" and whenever i decided to to leave the plave, he use to tell me that the contract says "6 months" .
I then called the Council for some advices and they told me : Take the copy of the Ast to know what type of tenancy are you in.. and guess what ? When i told them , i haven't got one, they politely said : There's nothing i can do about it .
I had to wait six months till i could mov eto another house . Even the citizen advisor said nothing can be done .

Ehh well that's life, at times it's better not to get in trouble with people .

Energise
13-11-2005, 19:55 PM
Without the existence of any agreement (written or oral) an AST is automatically created, among other problems Without a written AST you cannot use the accelerated procedure for eviction.

(The Council, Citizens Advice and your previous landlord were wrong)

See this page for documents
http://www.legalhelpers.co.uk/?referer=landlordzone

RichieP
13-11-2005, 20:27 PM
i only report facts from landlords who have between 10-20 properties

Unfortunately, it is because of landlords like this, who rent properties without ASTs as they think they can just tell people to leave when they feel like it, and probably much worse, that we have laws that lean towards giving tenants more rights than we would perhaps like at times.

"If you're gonna do it, do it right — right"
George Michael, 1986

MrShed
13-11-2005, 22:31 PM
Woah storex, dont get me wrong, I wasnt criticising. No I certainly wasnt a "born landlord", I was merely pointing out that if currently you think without an AST you can kick out whenever, then it would be very prudent to do a lot more research and perhaps use a letting agent. After my post, I should have put the word "yet" :p

lucid
13-11-2005, 22:54 PM
Maybe he should be made of the penalties that befall those that ignore the protection from eviction act among others.....Fines of several thousand pounds and a pleasant stay at her majesty's pleasure in a very small room with bars at one end, a tiny window, a smelly toilet and some not too pleasant company for a few months.

A very good incentive to learn what you are doing before you start...it's too late after you made the mistakes. A judge will not accept ignorance as a defence but will look on you as being even more foolish. :eek:

I never thought I'd see george michael being quoted in the forum...but yes do it right... :p

Energise
13-11-2005, 23:23 PM
a pleasant stay at her majesty's pleasure in a very small room with bars at one end, a tiny window, a smelly toilet and some not too pleasant company for a few months.

Oh yes, I forgot that kind of "tenancy" no AST required for that one :)

storex7
14-11-2005, 10:07 AM
Goerge Michael, nice one !!
I met up yesterday with that "full-of-self-confidence-landlord" , went to a public internet place and showed him all threads posted by all of you .
I thought i was going to scare him off, but all he could do was laughing at me and at the forum's answers . He said that first of all the majority of the tenants who plan not to pay the rent anymore, are people who are going to behave in a rude way and might become violent too, towards other tenants and the landlord himself, apart from partly trashing the property.

That was his answer : He would go to court and use the normal procedure for the eviction which is fair and not long anyway, normally 2 months (true ? )
but when things become uncontrolled and violent, he is forced to use the quick way, (kindly inviting the tenant out) just to prevent further violent behaviours from the tenants, as he's very concerned about other living-in tenant's health and safety . NOrmally any court considers this especially when this is viewed bu other people .

Mr Shed
Sorry, i must have misunderstood you . I own a 3 bed property and I occupy one of the rooms , got three fantastic tenants who help me to pay the mortgage under a normal Ast, or i think to be normal ; I just wanted to download a real copy, as i wanted to compare it with mine .
Being a landlord when you're busy is not my cup of tea, and quitting the job to become a landlord is not wise . I don't understand how other investors say that they got one property south, two north, and three east ... How can they manage all this ?
If i can buy another property and give it to the letting agent, that will help and will make me rest friday and saturday after work . All i can do is keep on reading the book about tenancy laws and perhaps as one of you said, subscribing to landlord's protection scheme for £ 60 something a year.

dazalock
14-11-2005, 10:13 AM
Sorry, i must have misunderstood you . I own a 3 bed property and I occupy one of the rooms , got three fantastic tenants who help me to pay the mortgage under a normal Ast, or i think to be normal ; I just wanted to download a real copy, as i wanted to compare it with mine .
Being a landlord when you're busy is not my cup of tea, and quitting the job to become a landlord is not wise . I don't understand how other investors say that they got one property south, two north, and three east ... How can they manage all this ?

Then you have a house full of lodgers not tenants, no AST required.

storex7
14-11-2005, 13:38 PM
Whhoa , thank god ! That's the word i was missing . So no Ast required , that's good news .

lucid
14-11-2005, 21:08 PM
hang on though hasn't he given them an AST?

Does that issue re this thread have any bearing again as the answer to that wasn't too clear in that thread...

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1192&page=1&pp=10

may be relevant?? :confused:

storex7
15-11-2005, 08:05 AM
lucid

i have given them an agreement

lawstudent
17-11-2005, 07:03 AM
Tenant? Lodger? AST? Agreement? It reminds me of the man who told his doctor he wanted to be castrated. The doctor tried to dissuade him, saying that the operation would be irreversible, but the man retorted, "Everyone knows that", and insisted on going through with it. When he awoke from the operation, he groggily asked the man in the next bed what he was in for. "I've been circumcised". "Oh dear", said the unfortunate castrato, "That's the word I was looking for". :D