PDA

View Full Version : Deceitful tenant not paying rent- how do I remove her?

BLH
16-06-2008, 09:18 AM
In a recently purchased flat of mine (my first), a new tennant falsified her occupation and financial situation, stating that she was more than able to pay the required rent.
Althought she came up with the first months rent and deposit, by the time it was due for them to pay the next month, they defaulted.
Upon contacting her, for nearly three days, all whilst not being able to get hold of her, due to her phone being off - she initially gave me a story that she had been robbed and didnt have the money to pay me.
I then managed to get it out of her that she was actually a council tennant who was waiting for her change of address to be put through, promising me that by the time the next months rent was due, the council would have back valued the last month's to me, and would pay up front for the next month.

What do I do here and where do I turn?
Surely I have re-course to get her removed from my premises seeing as though she deceived me about her employment and level of income! I dont want this to turn into an ongoing saga that involves stories every month and would just like to get her out.

Please can someone advise / help?
Thx.

porridge
16-06-2008, 09:29 AM
In a recently purchased flat of mine (my first), a new tennant falsified her occupation and financial situation, stating that she was more than able to pay the required rent.
Althought she came up with the first months rent and deposit, by the time it was due for them to pay the next month, they defaulted.
Upon contacting her, for nearly three days, all whilst not being able to get hold of her, due to her phone being off - she initially gave me a story that she had been robbed and didnt have the money to pay me.
I then managed to get it out of her that she was actually a council tennant who was waiting for her change of address to be put through, promising me that by the time the next months rent was due, the council would have back valued the last month's to me, and would pay up front for the next month.

What do I do here and where do I turn?
Surely I have re-course to get her removed from my premises seeing as though she deceived me about her employment and level of income! I dont want this to turn into an ongoing saga that involves stories every month and would just like to get her out.

Please can someone advise / help?
Thx.

You need to provide more details, i.e. what length of tenancy etc

But a contract has been signed and you will need to see out the period of the tenancy, of course if she defaults on her rent again and owes 2 months rent, then you can evict on a Section 8 procedure.

jeffrey
16-06-2008, 09:32 AM
You need to provide more details, i.e. what length of tenancy etc

But a contract has been signed and you will need to see out the period of the tenancy, of course if she defaults on her rent again and owes 2 months rent, then you can evict on a Section 8 procedure.

Do not allow T to run-up two months' rent arrears under g8. T is a fraud re application, so serve s.8 Notice under g14 (inc. g10/11, if appropriate)- no waiting period AT ALL, and you can then immediately begin proceedings.

BLH
16-06-2008, 14:18 PM
Thanks all for the swift responses. The tenant signed a one year lease with a six month break clause. I am interested in following up on the advice from Jeffrey, only I'm not sure what the codes g.8/ g.10 / g.11 & g.14 mean. Can anyone eloborate?

jeffrey
16-06-2008, 14:50 PM
Thanks all for the swift responses. The tenant signed a one year lease with a six month break clause. I am interested in following up on the advice from Jeffrey, only I'm not sure what the codes g.8/ g.10 / g.11 & g.14 mean. Can anyone eloborate?

These are some of the [numbered] grounds for possession in Schedule 2 to Housing Act 1988.

rachel230
16-06-2008, 21:41 PM
See Ground 17 "false statement given by tenant" - may find helpful!

Rachel

jeffrey
16-06-2008, 22:09 PM
See Ground 17 "false statement given by tenant" - may find helpful!

Rachel

Er, in my post #3, I meant to nclude g17 (not g14) re fraud, although g14 might apply too. Sorry for confusion!