PDA

View Full Version : Court order to end tenancy early due to health hazard?

mikelund04
07-11-2005, 22:45 PM
My landlady owns a bungalow and I rent an anexe from her. (built onto bungalow). A revolting smell has developed every time she flushes her toilet. Turns out that her waste pipe is just an exposed plastic pipe that literally pours waste matter into a drain. The end of pipe does not meet the drain for about 12 inches. This is so revolting I can't eat let alone live there.
Can I get a court order to allow the tenancy to end asap?

Thanks in advance.

Stu C
07-11-2005, 22:59 PM
Your local environmental health office at the council should be able to help you. They can at least enforce her in fixing the problem.

MrShed
08-11-2005, 08:18 AM
Does the annex have a seperate front door, and is self contained etc?

dazalock
08-11-2005, 09:17 AM
I dont think it matters Shedster, the Annex would seem to be at the same address and part of the accomodation in which the owner lives. So I see what your heading for, if the poster is in fact a lodger and he/she seems to be, regardless of any AST signed he/she can pack up and go.

MrShed
08-11-2005, 09:26 AM
Lol dazalock you saw right through me :p

MrShed
08-11-2005, 09:37 AM
Having done a bit of research, a landlord has been described as non-resident, in case law, if there is no interconnection between the let and the landlords property, so no interconnecting doors, and if the property is self contained and has its own seperate front door. All of which would mean that if this is true, for the OP, then he is a tenant not a lodger. However, it may of course not be true.

mikelund04
09-11-2005, 17:17 PM
I am a tenant but I can't be bothered to describe the layout of the building to you guys.

MrShed
09-11-2005, 18:22 PM
Well in that case mike do not expect further help. If you cannot be bothered then neither can I. And I am not altogether sure you ARE a tenant, even if you have an AST that doesnt make you a tenant unless the property is tenantable.

dazalock
09-11-2005, 20:25 PM
I really dont know what it is with someof these posters, they ask questions then they get a cob on. FFS if someone was trying to help me out I would be more than happy.