View Full Version : gonna need a barrister I think...

04-11-2005, 07:54 AM
it's the first time I will have had to actually go to court to recover rent monies. I will try to do as much of the work myself, but I fear I will need legal representation when it comes to the crunch. Any advice would hugely be appreciated on how to find a good barrister please.

I guess he would probably need to be based around the area where the property in question is located?

04-11-2005, 09:16 AM
Why would you need a barister?? You can do it all yourself, there is no need to throw more money away!!

04-11-2005, 10:11 AM
well that's what I was hoping but this case isn't totally without complications and this will be the first time I'm doing this... but yes will have a go at doing as much of it myself as I can, I guess I was after someone to check I was going about it the right way with really...

04-11-2005, 10:16 AM
Are you a member of the Residential Landlords Association? Your £70 a year (or whatever it is) gives you free access to a solicitor at the end of a 'phone. If you just need someone to confirm that you're going about things the right way then that might do the trick.

susan 2
04-11-2005, 11:04 AM
Hi - Have been in this position myself with regard to going to court. I had great help from my local Tenants relations officer at my local council. They are usually solicitors and know the pros and cons. Also being local they are easy to access. Just ring your council and have a chat with him or her. Mine has saved me a great deal of money, time and hassle. Their job is to mediate and advise both landlords and tenants.Most people do not make enough use of them.
You could also try www. landlordlaw for help. Best of luck Susan

04-11-2005, 18:42 PM
The problem with hiring a Barrister is that you can't recover your legal expenses through the Court. The rent arrears would have to be a very large amount to justify the cost of a Solicitor or a Barrister.
It IS nerve-wracking to represent yourself in Court; however its not quite as bad as you may be imagining. It helps to write a letter to the Court, presenting your case and including all relevant facts and figures. Check your facts and figures very carefully for accuracy. Deliver this by hand to the Court, as soon as possible and well before the Hearing. If possible, you should also let the people you are suing, have a copy of the letter. It will be much easier to present your case effectively in Court if everyone concerned has something in writing to refer to.
Good Luck.