PDA

View Full Version : is it worth having a contract

mrance@mnhrecycling.com
27-10-2005, 11:34 AM
I have an assured tenant renting a flat of mine

I can't find any contract is it worth getting a new one signed and If so is there a standard one I can locate?

Many Thanks Matt ;)

RichieP
27-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Not sure what you mean here.

Did the tenant originaly sign a tenancy agreement but you can't find your copy, or has he/she been living there without a contract?

Do you mean Assuerd Shorthold or Assured tenancy? They're very different in terms of being able to evict.

mrance@mnhrecycling.com
27-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Yeah I think we originally had a contract but I can't locate it anywhere but figure I had better ask him to sign a new one?

I think its an assured tenancy as the same guy has liver there since 1996 - how would a assured shorthold be defined?

Thanks matt

PaulF
27-10-2005, 23:12 PM
Getting the tenant to sign a new agreement will be invalid as it potentially removes his rights of occupation. Find the original or you will have to leave it as it is!
If a Section 20 Notice was not served on the tenant before he took up occupation in 1996, it will be an Assured Tenancy which protects him from eviction, unless he breaches one of the 17 Grounds for which you would need to prove in court. His occupation is otherwise secure.
There's plenty on this forum in different threads, some posted within the last few days. Just put "Assured Tenancy" as keywords into the search faciltity for much more.

mrance@mnhrecycling.com
28-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Cheers matt :)