PDA

View Full Version : Insurance cover summary

Easy
13-05-2008, 15:23 PM
There is an obligation in my lease to keep insured 'in the joint names of the lessor and lessee in an insurance office and branch nominated by the lessee'. Falling that there is a clause the lessor may insure the building and recover half the costs. However the lessor has never nominated an insurance office and branch. However the landlord has insured the building - so i have been told. I have not received any demand for payment or seen any policy of sorts to date. This has been the case for a number of years.

Can i make a request from the landlord for a written summary of the insurance cover even though i have not paid anything towards it (as yet)? If so would this just be for the current period of cover or could i demand copies of past policies? Thanks.

jeffrey
13-05-2008, 15:55 PM
1. "Nominated by the lessee"- lines 1/2 of post #1- should read "nominated by the lessor."
2. I assume that this is a flat.
3. If so, a single block policy is always better than individual lessees' own insurances.
4. Someone must be paying the premium if you aren't!
5. Yes- you have a right to copy of policy and annual cover summary. See s.30A of LTA 1985 (and Act's Schedule), for instance.

Easy
13-05-2008, 18:53 PM
1. "Nominated by the lessee"- lines 1/2 of post #1- should read "nominated by the lessor."
2. I assume that this is a flat.
3. If so, a single block policy is always better than individual lessees' own insurances.
4. Someone must be paying the premium if you aren't!
5. Yes- you have a right to copy of policy and annual cover summary. See s.30A of LTA 1985 (and Act's Schedule), for instance.

"nominated by the lessor."

Yes indeed.

It is a flat. I have paid buildings insurance on my flat for 'peace of mind' in the absence of anything from the lessor, more importantly to meet the terms and conditions of my mortgage lender. But i understand that buildings insurance on a flat might not be worth the paper its written on (re previous posts)? Rather interestingly if i can get a copy of the lessors building insurance, and show that there is an existing policy in place to my insurer (Abbey), they have offered to reimbuse me payments i have made on mine. I will request a copy of policy and summary.

Is there a template/prescribed format for requesting this?

jeffrey
14-05-2008, 10:07 AM
"nominated by the lessor."

Yes indeed.

It is a flat. I have paid buildings insurance on my flat for 'peace of mind' in the absence of anything from the lessor, more importantly to meet the terms and conditions of my mortgage lender. But i understand that buildings insurance on a flat might not be worth the paper its written on (re previous posts)? Rather interestingly if i can get a copy of the lessors building insurance, and show that there is an existing policy in place to my insurer (Abbey), they have offered to reimbuse me payments i have made on mine. I will request a copy of policy and summary.

Is there a template/prescribed format for requesting this?

See paragraph 2(1) in 1985 Act's Schedule: "Where a service charge...includes an amount...for insurance, the tenant may by notice in writing require the landlord to supply him with a written summary of the insurance..."

As no 'prescribed form' wording appears, I imagine that a simple letter would be sufficient if it refers expressly to this paragraph.