PDA

View Full Version : Can neighbouring 2-bed flat be let for 5 people?

craigfer
08-05-2008, 07:27 AM
A letting company has rented out a 2 bedroom flat on to a company let.

My friend owns the property below this flat and my question is are they allowed 5 people in this property. I dont think the rental agent is aware that there are five people in this flat.

What are my friends options?

Poppy
08-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Actually I could fit 6 students in a 2 bed flat.

There is nothing that your friend can do. No law is being broken.

agent46
08-05-2008, 09:25 AM

Is that like one of those "how many students can fit in a phone box" competitions?

Poppy
08-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Yeah! You wanna play?

6 students in 2 bed property: 2 sleeping in each bedroom plus 2 sleeping in the living room.

Who needs coffee tables anyway?

Colincbayley
08-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Yeah! You wanna play?

6 students in 2 bed property: 2 sleeping in each bedroom plus 2 sleeping in the living room.

Who needs coffee tables anyway?

Sorry Poppy, you are wrong!

You can easy get 12 students in a two bed flat, 2 each in the bedrooms, 4 in the lounge and 4 sharing the toilet to throw up in!

Oh, and then the one who falls asleep in the wardrobe, better make that 13 then. ( unlucky for some )

jeffrey
08-05-2008, 10:20 AM

There is nothing that your friend can do. No law is being broken.

1. Not so. Overcrowding may be unlawful. See s.216 of Housing Act 2004.
2. Also see s.264 re how to calculate number of persons for Act's purposes. If students constitute people [quaere], this may apply too.
3. At present, no SIs have yet been made under either section.

Poppy
08-05-2008, 10:55 AM
OK. Maybe stating that no law is being broken is lacking detail. For the scenario that craigfer has described, the property is not officially overcrowded.

The Housing Act 2004 section 216 Overcrowding led me to the Housing Act 1985 Part 10 Overcrowding. Read this if you can be bothered folks Housing Act 1985 Part 10 Overcrowding (http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?LegType=All+Legislation&title=housing&Year=1985&searchEnacted=0&extentMatchOnly=0&confersPower=0&blanketAmendment=0&sortAlpha=0&TYPE=QS&PageNumber=1&NavFrom=0&parentActiveTextDocId=2428062&ActiveTextDocId=2428464&filesize=45372)

People aged under 1 year is a non-person.
People aged 1 to 9 (and 364 days) years is counted as half.

All together now … Aaaaaaahhhhhh!

I'd be bloody surprised if a local authority actually acted against a situation with 6 tenants in a 2 bed property. They'd be more interested in how many people are stored in the basement.

Mrs Jones
08-05-2008, 13:28 PM
No one has mentioned whether the owner of the flat concerned knows how many people are occupying the property?

My ASTs stipulate how many people may live in any of my properties. More people is more wear and tear. Maybe Poppy doesn't care about the condition of the properties she manages, but she would certainly not be handling mine!

I am beginning to think I have been extremely lucky in the agent I use!!!

glantisant
08-05-2008, 13:46 PM
be interesting to know what kind of company puts 5 people in a 2 bedroomed place. less likely to be your non people or half people I guess.

could be guys (or girls, not to be sexist) on opposing shifts? seen that happen before with oil rig workers.

jeffrey
08-05-2008, 13:54 PM
Or menage-a-troilists?

agent46
08-05-2008, 14:18 PM
be interesting to know what kind of company puts 5 people in a 2 bedroomed place. seen that happen before with oil rig workers.

And Poles - they often get shafted.

Ba dum tish.

Thank you ladies and gentlemen, I'm here all week. :D

housed
08-05-2008, 15:51 PM
That health warning is pretty apt for, I hesitate to say it, 'jokes' like that ')

justaboutsane
08-05-2008, 16:25 PM
You seem to forget that you could get 4 in a bed if you top and tail ... oh and none of you mentioned the bath. I know many a student friend who ended up in the bath after a night on the tiles.

Poppy
08-05-2008, 16:35 PM
So, what's your total then for the competition?

Colincbayley
08-05-2008, 16:50 PM
You seem to forget that you could get 4 in a bed if you top and tail ... oh and none of you mentioned the bath. I know many a student friend who ended up in the bath after a night on the tiles.

I didn't think students took baths?

justaboutsane
08-05-2008, 17:04 PM
I am going for 13 too .. 4 in each room and one in the bath.. Colin... hence why it makes a good bed .. never used!

Paul_W
09-05-2008, 12:22 PM
be interesting to know what kind of company puts 5 people in a 2 bedroomed place. less likely to be your non people or half people I guess.

could be guys (or girls, not to be sexist) on opposing shifts? seen that happen before with oil rig workers.
I had a tenancy last year - 2 bed terrace, 2 reception rooms, kitchen and bathroom.
Occupation Son & Girlfriend, Mother & Father and Grandmother, all cited on tenancy agreement.
Son was paying the rent. Mother and Father wanted council housing for self and Grandmother so wanted to prove virtually homeless and living in overcrowded conditions.
Some of the best tenants I've had mind!

Colincbayley
09-05-2008, 12:27 PM
I had a tenancy last year - 2 bed terrace, 2 reception rooms, kitchen and bathroom.
Occupation Son & Girlfriend, Mother & Father and Grandmother, all cited on tenancy agreement.
Son was paying the rent. Mother and Father wanted council housing for self and Grandmother so wanted to prove virtually homeless and living in overcrowded conditions.
Some of the best tenants I've had mind!

You had 5 adults on one AST???????

Paul_W
09-05-2008, 12:34 PM
You had 5 adults on one AST???????
Actually it was only 4, the son's girlfriend was not on the AST, my mistake.

The son and his girlfriend had the big bedroom, Mum and Dad had the back bedroom and Grandma had the front room which is open plan from the front door. Did one inspection and that was bad enough. However they kept the property clean and tidy, did some decoration and most importantly always paid their rent on time.