PDA

View Full Version : It's a cab, innit!

Poppy
02-05-2008, 15:15 PM
This was published on 11 April 2008 in The Sun, The Metro, The Independent, basically loads of places.

A 19-year-old Cockney girl, staying in Hertfordshire, wanted a taxi to take her to Bristol airport.

She rang directory enquiries and, using rhyming slang, said "I'm lookin' for a Joe Baxi". When the baffled operator told her she could not find anyone listed by that name, the teen snapped back: "It ain't a person, it's a cab, innit". The operator then found the nearest cabinet shop, Displaysense, and put the girl through.

She then spoke to an equally bemused saleswoman and eventually fumed: "Look love, how hard is it? All I want is your cheapest cab, innit. I need it for 10am. How much is it?" The sales adviser said it would be £180 and the girl gave her address and paid with a credit card.

The next morning, the company delivered a cabinet to her address. The girl then called back in a fury and Displaysense finally realised the mistake.

The firm, of Bishop's Stortford, Herts, has now apologised and refunded her cash after the mix-up. The Marketing manager said "We thought it was a joke at first but the girl was absolutely livid. We have suggested that maybe she should speak a bit clearer on the phone."

jeffrey
02-05-2008, 15:24 PM
This was published on 11 April 2008 in The Sun, The Metro, The Independent, basically loads of places.

Great! At the risk of exposing my appalling ignorance of widely-known nonentities, who is or was Joe Baxi?
I've looked at http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang, a fine source of slang expressions and the meaning/origins of each, but no help- except as a parallel with 'Joe Bloggs' and rhyming slang for 'taxi'.

Poppy
02-05-2008, 15:30 PM
I bet Joe Bloggs and Jimmy Riddle know him.

jta
02-05-2008, 19:28 PM

come on Poppy, somebody must have phoned the papers on April 1st. It took 'em a week to run it.

jeffrey
04-05-2008, 19:37 PM

Oh, does that make it true then?

Poppy
04-05-2008, 19:55 PM
As true as the Bar O' Soap and the Baked Bean 'avin' an Eartha.

jeffrey
05-05-2008, 20:42 PM

Why Bristol Airport, anyway? Lorraine Chase was quite clear that it was Luton Airport whence she was wafted.

jeffrey
05-05-2008, 20:43 PM
come on Poppy, somebody must have phoned the papers on April 1st. It took 'em a week to run it.

Ten days, by my reckoning.

SherlockHome
12-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Presumably she was travelling to Bristol airport to attend the training sessions which would teach her how to articulate herself in a west country accent - one equally incomprehensible as her mother tongue . . .

jeffrey
12-06-2008, 23:20 PM
Presumably she was travelling to Bristol airport to attend the training sessions which would teach her how to articulate herself in a west country accent - one equally incomprehensible as her mother tongue . . .

Must have been a filt 'un...
[airport name joke- sorry]

Go on, then , match these UK airports pseudo-geographcal names to their true locations:
Doncaster/Sheffield, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester
Finningley, Ringway, Speke, Yeadon

Poppy
13-06-2008, 09:48 AM
What you doing at half past midnight dreaming up quizzes?

Here's my answers cos I'm sad innit

Finningley - Doncaster/Sheffield
Ringway - Manchester
Speke - Liverpool
Yeadon - Leeds

jeffrey
13-06-2008, 10:35 AM
What you doing at half past midnight dreaming up quizzes?

Here's my answers cos I'm sad innit

Finningley - Doncaster/Sheffield
Ringway - Manchester
Speke - Liverpool
Yeadon - Leeds

Correct. Go to top of class!
No-one has yet explained adequately why an airport in Finningley (a small town six miles to the south-east of Doncaster) is tagged "Sheffield". We do, though, have local evidence of Robin Hood having been known as Robin of Loxley (a small village on the NW of Sheffield, nowhere near Doncaster)- hence the mouthful "Doncaster Sheffield Robin Hood Airport".