PDA

View Full Version : Where do I find a private landlord?

Scubabe
23-04-2008, 19:08 PM
G'day all,

My husband and I are moving to the Reading area soon and we're looking for a house to rent down there which we can have our (very well trained) labrador with us. We're homeowners up north but moving down for a new job and since we don't know the area we'd like to rent for a few years before we even think about buying.

Everyone I've asked has suggested that the best way to get a rental which allows dogs is to go for a private landlord, but I have no idea where I'd find one of these!!

Does anyone know of any particular papers or websites which private landlords use to advertise property for sale in the Reading/Oxford area?

Or should I just look on Gumtree and in the local papers? I couldn't find a single ad for a private rental house last week when we went down to Reading on a house hunting mission, and I'm starting to stress that we won't find somewhere and will end up living in a Travelodge for the rest of our lives...

Thanks in advance!!

Ness

Colincbayley
23-04-2008, 19:16 PM
There is a major shortage of quality rentals in the south of the UK at present. You are all ready aware of gumtree and have looked in the papers. So look up a few agents and let them know what you are looking for. Take a bit of the hard word out of it.
LL's who use agents can also allow dogs!!

Scubabe
25-04-2008, 13:25 PM
Thanks for the reply Colin, will approach agents in the area as well just in case I can find a property I can have the dog in.
If anyone else has any suggestions of places to look would appreciate a headsup :)

Cheers!

P.Pilcher
25-04-2008, 13:38 PM
Agents are always a good idea: I always use agents thus you would be unable to rent any of my properties unless you approached one. The same applies to many landlords, particularly those who live a distance from their properties. In my case, an advertisment means a 60 mile round trip just to let a potential tenant view. I let my agent handle this. In the long run I save money.

P.P.

Scubabe
26-04-2008, 23:25 PM
So, PP, though you rent through agencies do you ever allow tenants to have dogs?

All the agencies I have phoned so far have said no pets, and it didn't appear to me that some of them actually knew the landlord would not allow pets, some of them just automatically said "Oh no, definately not" as though the idea of anybody ever having a dog was utterly abhorrent!

Point taken about the agencies though, I will call/drop in on more when we move down next week.

Thanks!!

Ness

P.Pilcher
27-04-2008, 10:11 AM
I do - after all, I own one myself. However I always discuss this personally with the tenant before permission is given. A dog which is locked up all day while tenant is at work will possibly annoy neighbours by continuously barking, and damage internal fittings by scratching with claws or chewing because it is frightened at being left for so long. Thus I have to be satisfied that the dog will be contented and the tenant has a solution to these problems. My agents are instructed to refer any queries about pets to me and I discuss same with the potential tenant before making a decision. Of course, saying no usually means that the potential tenant withdraws, so it is important to do this before said potential tenant pays the agent a fee to further his application.

P.P.

davidjohnbutton
27-04-2008, 10:48 AM
My policy is to automatically allow one dog or cat and no other animals - which effectively precludes tenants moving horses, pigs, sheep, goats, cows etc. onto the land or god forbid, in the house!!!!

The rider to this permission is that they must not cause a nuisance or cause damage and dogs must not be left alone in the property for such periods as to cause them to bark persistently and that my permission can be withdrawn if it becomes clear that problems/damage are being caused.

Scubabe
28-04-2008, 18:23 PM
Thanks to you both for your posts, much appreciated.

I know I already have the above points covered.
As a potential tenant, would it satisfy you to know that:
a) hubby and I work shifts so dog would rarely be left alone more than a couple of hours a day
b) on odd occassions where it would be left, we have a dog walker come in to take him out for an hour
c) he's crated when we're not home, so absolutely impossible for him to cause any damage to the property
d) we'd be happy to either pay a larger deposit if required, or happy to have an inclusion in the lease that we'd have the carpets cleaned and repair/make good any damage he might make

If a potential tenant made the above points would you consider them to be thoughtful and responsible and respectful to your property?

Anyway, don't think I'll be online again to check for replies before we move as we go on Thurs, so thanks so much for your suggestions and hopefully I'll be able to find a rental property without too much trouble down south. Fingers crossed!!

Cheers,

Ness

Ericthelobster
28-04-2008, 18:37 PM
My policy is to automatically allow one dog or cat and no other animals - which effectively precludes tenants moving horses, pigs, sheep, goats, cows etc. onto the land or god forbid, in the house!!!!But by forbidding a tenant to keep a goat in the spare bedroom aren't you interfering with their quiet enjoyment of the property??

Colincbayley
28-04-2008, 18:44 PM
But by forbidding a tenant to keep a goat in the spare bedroom aren't you interfering with their quiet enjoyment of the property??

That would depend on what the goat is doing in the bedroom in the first place!! :eek:

jta
28-04-2008, 19:34 PM
Originally Posted by Ericthelobster View Post
But by forbidding a tenant to keep a goat in the spare bedroom aren't you interfering with their quiet enjoyment of the property??

Rent places in Wales then do you Boyo.