PDA

View Full Version : Bills dispute after not renewing contract when it was due

feduplandlord
22-04-2008, 13:07 PM
My tenants moved into the property in August 2006. Firstly I wanted £1070 for rent and they asked if we could settle at £1000 a month - so I agreed. As I had already paid the water bill up front for the year back in April 2006 - I told them they do not have to pay the water for the year - we removed it and we all signed next to it on the tenancy agreement. By the time the contract was coming to an end and we were to sign a new one end of July 2007, my husband and I had separated and he was giving me problems about them signing a new contract with me and wanted them to rather sign with him. To avoid his stupid demands, my lawyer suggested I just let the current agreement run on a month to month basis. However - a few problems arose from this:

1. The next water bill of £225 for the following year was due in April 2008. I covered both 2006 and 2007’s water bills for them (I paid 2007’s bill without realizing it was at my rented address! – stupid, I know!!)

2. I didn't increase their rent after the 1st year expired. (I was out of the country and mid in my divorce, so my head was else where!)

3. I saved them over £2000 in this period from August 2006 – March 2008 by:
(a) not increasing the rent with approx 5% when I should have (+- £400 saving)
(b) saving them £70 a month by agreeing to let them pay only £1000 rent a month instead of the original £1070 (+- £1400 saving for the 20 months!)
(c ) by covering the water bills 2006 & 2007 (+- £400)

When I received the water bill for 2008 in April that they forwarded on to me, I called them up and said that they are responsible for paying all bills. He then said they are not and referred to the agreement of 2006 where we removed it from the agreement! I made him aware of all the “favours” (stupid again, I know!!!) and the more than £2000 saving and asked politely if they would please mind covering the bill for £225? Needless to say after making them aware of how I’ve saved them money etc. and knowing that I would (a) Include the water in their next agreement (b) Increase their rent they gave notice there and then and have now left the property.

Can I hold back money for the water bills and or the rent increase that was due August 2007 or not?

Thank you in advance.

attilathelandlord
22-04-2008, 13:23 PM
You haven't saved them anything. You and they both have done what is in the contract.

If you had wanted them to pay the whole rent, you shouldn't have agreed somthing else.

If you had wanted to increase the rent you just needed to follow the correct procedures.

If you wanted them to pay water bills then your contract should have said so.

You can't hold any monies back.

Next time, be a bit more businesslike about your affairs.

feduplandlord
22-04-2008, 13:48 PM
From a legal side of what we put on paper I might not have, but in reality - I definitely saved them money!

attilathelandlord
22-04-2008, 14:34 PM
I know what you mean, but you are running a business and must behave in such a manner. I'm not saying it to be spiteful but in the hopes you'll do better in the future!

susanne
22-04-2008, 14:51 PM
tenants are very rarely "grateful" ....:cool:

feduplandlord
22-04-2008, 15:01 PM
I've noticed that the hard way! Guess I will just have to toughen up towards them. Business and being nice to people definitely do not go hand in hand!

bagpuss
23-04-2008, 18:46 PM
I've noticed that the hard way! Guess I will just have to toughen up towards them. Business and being nice to people definitely do not go hand in hand!

I disagree, you can be nice and still business-like. In fact the more business-like you are, the easier it is for everyone to stay nice because everyone knows where they stand.

Colincbayley
23-04-2008, 19:24 PM
I disagree, you can be nice and still business-like. In fact the more business-like you are, the easier it is for everyone to stay nice because everyone knows where they stand.

Very well put bagpuss. I must agree.

Subway
24-04-2008, 14:39 PM
Is this the same place you had the central heating problem?