View Full Version : Tenant has to move during work?

19-04-2008, 10:24 AM
A friend has lived in a property for 4 yrs, single mum 2 kids and dog, on benefit for the last 2yrs after an accident has left her partly paralised.
The house has been damp for most of her tenancy, but has been ok when she was mobile she kept it at bay. The house is now very bad and at last the landlord has agreed to do work, but has told her she will have to move out for a month, at her own costs, or live upstairs, and put her furniture in storage.
Does she have to fund this herself, or should the landlord have insurance. Not only is it financially impossible, but to find some where for that short time that is suitable for her in a wheelchair.
All help gratfully received.

19-04-2008, 15:59 PM
Landlord should pay for it as its his need to move her out. He may be able to claim on his insurance for this purpose, not sure though.

19-04-2008, 16:07 PM
Regrettably the landlord has to minimise his costs. He is able to ask this tenant to leave under the section 21 route, then, when she has gone, complete the work and then relet the property. I have been in exactly this situation: Tenant was moaning about a minor damp problem and for his trouble found himself needing to find new accommodation. O.K. it cost me an arm and a leg for the necessary work, but there was no way that I was also going to find temporary accommodation for the tenant while this work (which rendered the property uninhabitable) was completed. It was much cheaper to find another tenant.


19-04-2008, 16:46 PM
Conflicting information, I can understand the L/L not wanting to pay out for accomodation for the tenant, but if the landlord has tackled the problem to begin with it would not have got to this point. She is in a difficult position with her disability.

19-04-2008, 17:36 PM
Its not conflicting advise, its just two routes!

The LL can either PAY For Tenant to move to alternative accommodation OR they can issue a section 21 and get the work done once the tenant has moved out.

I did think about the section 21 option but not until after I posted and then could not be bothered!

It may be better for the tenant if she got a section 21, she can take this to the council and they would have an obligation to rehouse her, not ideal but she would be more secure than she is now.

20-04-2008, 22:35 PM
could she stay with freinds and ask the LL to pay for her furniture storage costs ?