PDA

View Full Version : Deposit scheme question

jimk2
18-04-2008, 16:17 PM
I recently bit the bullet and put a £400 bond in http://www.depositprotection.com/default.aspx?bhjs=1&fla=1

Has anyone used this scheme? Or more to the point how do I get the money out when tenant moves on? How is the tenant involved?

Thanks in advance

swinefever
18-04-2008, 23:20 PM
Hi there. Just been through the entire process myself.

At the end of the tenancy, you have to apply via the DPS website to release the money. If everything has gone smoothly with your tenant, then you specify that you want the money to go to the tenant. The DPS will also contact the them and ask for confirmation.

If things haven't gone so smoothly and you want to keep some or all of the deposit, you apply the same way and specify the reasons. The DPS will contact the tenant and if they disagree, then you have to go into an arbitration process (if both parties are open to this). If agreement still cannot be reached, be prepared to present your evidence to a court.

In my case, the tenant left with massive arrears and no forwarding details. In this scenario, where the tenant cannot be contacted, you have to go through the Single Claim Process. This involves filling out a form (the 'Statutory Declaration') where you confirm that:

-You cannot contact the tenant;

-The amount you wish to claim;

-Why you want to claim that amount (with supporting documentation, if applicable). For this, i outlined the arrears owed by the tenant and included copies of the tenancy, which contained details of circumstances in which the deposit could be retained by the landlord;

Finally, you have to sign to confirm that everything you have said is accurate to the best of you knowledge. This signature has to be made in front of a Solicitor/Commissioner for Oaths or Magistrate, who has to countersign to say they witnessed your signature of the form. I got a local solicitor to witness and sign my form (it cost a mere £5).

Three days after i sent in the 'Statutory Declaration' form, the DPS contacted me to advise that they would attempt to contact the tenant with the details they had on file and if they heard nothing back in 15 working days, the money would be sent back to my account. This duly happened.

I would advise that any contact you have with the DPS should be by email. That way you have everything in writing and can avoid costly calls to their 0870 number (where you will find yourself in a queue for ages).

And that's my quick reply!

Colincbayley
19-04-2008, 07:36 AM
I would advise that any contact you have with the DPS should be by email. That way you have everything in writing and can avoid costly calls to their 0870 number (where you will find yourself in a queue for ages).

Try this website, www.saynoto0870.com

Ericthelobster
19-04-2008, 07:58 AM
Try this website, www.saynoto0870.comGreat site, but unfortunately they haven't got the DPS in their database.

caroline7758
19-04-2008, 11:01 AM
I recently had an elderly client who wanted to use DPS but did not have access to or know how to use the internet. He spent a lot of money trying to get through on their phones in order to find out their address. The leaflets produced by the CLG about deposit protection all assume everyone will use the internet and don't give postal addresses for the schemes.
I was surprised at how little information was given to me when I lodged my first deposit recently. I had assumed I would get something in the post, but no, everything is web/email based, which is fine but a bit unnerving, especially since the site does not explain this. Must make sure I print off the email in case my computer dies!
I think all the info you need is in their terms and conditions, but again they don't tell you that.

swinefever
19-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Hi Caroline, i've sent you a personal message concerning the DPS. I originally sent it to another member but he didn't respond. Would you mind checking it and telling me what you think please?

Thanks,

Swine