PDA

View Full Version : Tenant has left property without paying bills

tsu3000
18-04-2008, 13:17 PM
Hi

My tenant has left my property on the last day of tenancy but he has withheld the last months rent and has not paid his council tax and utility bills. Am I as the landlord liable for any of the unpaid bills?

Thanks in advance.

J

Colincbayley
18-04-2008, 14:14 PM
Your tenant is liable for the debts he/she leaves behind, not the LL. So don't worry.

glantisant
18-04-2008, 15:28 PM
hope you dont mind me asking (yet another) q on the back of this...

our contract clearly states that we (tenants) are responsible for bills and debts, not the LL.

Something else our agent has added in is that we will not get our deposit back untill we have proved there are no debts against the property by providing proof of final bill payment.

we have monthly payment plan thingies on our bills - there wont be 'fina' anythings as such.

is this just another way of stalling? by law what should we be providing to him? Or should we write to say nonsense?

Colincbayley
18-04-2008, 15:33 PM
hope you dont mind me asking (yet another) q on the back of this...

our contract clearly states that we (tenants) are responsible for bills and debts, not the LL.

Something else our agent has added in is that we will not get our deposit back untill we have proved there are no debts against the property by providing proof of final bill payment.

we have monthly payment plan thingies on our bills - there wont be 'fina' anythings as such.

is this just another way of stalling? by law what should we be providing to him? Or should we write to say nonsense?

It's pretty unfair to me, but if that is what you have signed up for then you are stuck with it ( unless a court orders the term unfair, but we won't even go into that! )

glantisant
18-04-2008, 15:46 PM
Big thanks for that.

Just been trolling through the TA.

The Tenant shall pay to the Landlord’s Agent upon the signing of this Agreement £1,800.00 by of a security deposit (“the Deposit”) for the Landlord in respect of:-......

Any unpaid account or charge for water, electricity or gas or other fuels consumed by the Tenant in the Premises and any unpaid telephone charges, but the Landlord is under no obligation to do so.

That could mean anything, couldn't it?

As could this..... cant quite work out what it measn either

In any case where the Landlord has the right to make a deduction from the Deposit in respect of more than one claim or deduction the Landlord shall have the right to make such appropriation in such priority as he shall see fit.

Colincbayley
18-04-2008, 15:52 PM
That could mean anything, couldn't it?

As could this..... cant quite work out what it measn either

In any case where the Landlord has the right to make a deduction from the Deposit in respect of more than one claim or deduction the Landlord shall have the right to make such appropriation in such priority as he shall see fit.

Seems clear to me, they are saying that if a deduction is made from the deposit for more than one expense, then the LL will decide in what order they are paid. I.E if you leave the property with unpaid rent, damage and a large electric bill, the LL will take his rent and damage amount out first!

jimk2
18-04-2008, 16:58 PM
What happens when the property is empty? I got a council tax bill and water bill as tenant passed on my details.
Luckily I managed to get both sorted, Just wondering when gas and electric bill will arrive.

Colincbayley
18-04-2008, 17:02 PM
What happens when the property is empty? I got a council tax bill and water bill as tenant passed on my details.
Luckily I managed to get both sorted, Just wondering when gas and electric bill will arrive.

If the tenants have left, and the tenancy has ended, then any standing charges will be down to the LL.

Ericthelobster
18-04-2008, 17:04 PM
What happens when the property is empty? I got a council tax bill and water bill as tenant passed on my details.You should get a council tax exemption for 6 months, if the property is unfurnished; you don't pay electric or gas because you ensure you're on a no-standing charge tarriff. Water seems to be the only one who still charges me, much to my chagrin - even with a metered supply, they still hit me with a standing charge.

jimk2
18-04-2008, 17:14 PM
You should get a council tax exemption for 6 months, if the property is unfurnished; you don't pay electric or gas because you ensure you're on a no-standing charge tarriff. Water seems to be the only one who still charges me, much to my chagrin - even with a metered supply, they still hit me with a standing charge.

The waterboard informed me to have the water cut off to avoide future charges. My moaning and informing them that it would cost them allot more eventually pusuaded them to waive the charge against me.