PDA

View Full Version : Student acc tennant seeking advice...

cmp23
17-04-2008, 05:41 AM
I know that most of you seem to be landlords but that is the view on the subject I am looking for so if you could give me your opinion that would be great. I have a 43 week licence in a building that was under contsruciton when I moved in to it in sept and still is as I write this. The rent is advertised as weekly amounts and only after you agree to the contract do they tell you that you have to pay in 3 installments after giving them 4 weeks damage and the first 4 weeks, so it is 220 a week and the 3 installments are 13 weeks each at 2860. The first installment was two days late being paid as I tried literally for two day to contact this company via phone,fax, and email to pay it but I had to wait until I was physically in the building before I got the chance to talk to anyone. The second installment was 10days late because my mother had faxed them a credit card authorization they didn't process and apparently lost so she had to fax a second which they did. This time I thought it would just be easiest to do a bank transfer which unfortunately her accountant got confused on the number and this is the tricky bit, he thought it was was for 2200 not 2860 so I said well just do it anyway I will pay them 660 on my credit card but then when he looked back at what she told him to do he saw it was 2860 and he wouldn't to a transfer of 2200 without talking to her. Now she is on gardening leave and away on a trip and I have no way to reach her so I was exploring other options when I wake up yesterday to find a letter under my door saying if I don't pay them but the 17th at 5pm they reserve the right to right to undertake possession proceedings without any further notification to myself. So I double my finances which being a student coming on the end of term were on life support to say the least, so I went downstairs to talk to the building manager. I was under the impression that rent must be well over do, which in this case it seems quarterly since 4 * 13 = 52 so I thought you had to be in arrears by a quarter when it was that and I had read that on this site this am as well. He laughed and said no once it is unpaid it is unpaid and I had already given notice to quit by signing my licence agreement so they could terminate whenever and it didn't matter that I had paid part of the sum. He then told me that I am putting my american law knowledge and trying to use it here in the UK and did this is a very condescending manner, which i found to be discriminatory and harassing because I am Canadian not american and just because I have retained my Canadian accent rather than fake a British one and take the mick out of every British born person by doing so that I should be talked to in that manner. I then said well ok I obviously don't understand the law, very politely, and asked him to please help me understand it by telling me what will be done Thursday at 5pm so I can understand the severity of the situation and know just how far I would have to go to get the cash. He just kept telling me he would not enter into that conversation with me until Thursday 5pm and if i wished to find out more about the companies policies I should retain representation and then I would have to pay the companies representation 500 pounds an hour to discuss this matter. I then questioned him as to whether he would be lenient given that the building is still on construction site and I have a lose exterior panel I have been asking to be fixed and wasn't there a major obligation to fix the exterior and structural components of building, he again laughed and said they don't care about the state of individual buildings. Then I questioned him on my water, which the pipes had been crossed, ie hot connected to cold which resulted in the toilet flushing warm and the shower mainly only being a cold shower or full hot which would cause burns to skin if you used it which a few time i did do in the sink as being so used to cold water on the right side of the tap. He just said was the water drinkable? then there was no problem if it was drinkable, but I cant see that since I was letting a room with a shower and their negligence in fitting the pipes made it unusable. The conversation ended with me being left with the impression that if i didn't have the money by 5pm Thursday that was it, he suggested borrowing from friends or seeing if the bank could do something quick. I always intended to give them their money and at the advertised 220 a week I was paid up until May 11, 2008 which to me I don't think the court would consider this in arrears. The end of the story was I had to sell my watch to a friend to get the cash yesterday and did pay them because I feared other wise I would be on the street tonight. So could you please give me your opinions on this situation and all relative points? I know it is a lot to ask but it would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Colincbayley
17-04-2008, 07:16 AM
Could we have some paragraphs please, my eyes are going funny!

cmp23
17-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Well there seems to be no edit feature so I will repost here....

I know that most of you seem to be landlords but that is the view on the subject I am looking for so if you could give me your opinion that would be great.

I have a 43 week licence in a building that was under contsruciton when I moved in to it in sept and still is as I write this. The rent is advertised as weekly amounts and only after you agree to the contract do they tell you that you have to pay in 3 installments after giving them 4 weeks damage and the first 4 weeks, so it is 220 a week and the 3 installments are 13 weeks each at 2860.

The first installment was two days late being paid as I tried literally for two day to contact this company via phone,fax, and email to pay it but I had to wait until I was physically in the building before I got the chance to talk to anyone. The second installment was 10days late because my mother had faxed them a credit card authorization they didn't process and apparently lost so she had to fax a second which they did. This time I thought it would just be easiest to do a bank transfer which unfortunately her accountant got confused on the number and this is the tricky bit, he thought it was was for 2200 not 2860 so I said well just do it anyway I will pay them 660 on my credit card but then when he looked back at what she told him to do he saw it was 2860 and he wouldn't to a transfer of 2200 without talking to her. Now she is on gardening leave and away on a trip and I have no way to reach her so I was exploring other options when I wake up yesterday to find a letter under my door saying if I don't pay them but the 17th at 5pm they reserve the right to right to undertake possession proceedings without any further notification to myself. So I double my finances which being a student coming on the end of term were on life support to say the least, so I went downstairs to talk to the building manager.

I was under the impression that rent must be well over do, which in this case it seems quarterly since 4 * 13 = 52 so I thought you had to be in arrears by a quarter when it was that and I had read that on this site this am as well. He laughed and said no once it is unpaid it is unpaid and I had already given notice to quit by signing my licence agreement so they could terminate whenever and it didn't matter that I had paid part of the sum. He then told me that I am putting my american law knowledge and trying to use it here in the UK and did this is a very condescending manner, which i found to be discriminatory and harassing because I am Canadian not american and just because I have retained my Canadian accent rather than fake a British one and take the mick out of every British born person by doing so that I should be talked to in that manner. I then said well ok I obviously don't understand the law, very politely, and asked him to please help me understand it by telling me what will be done Thursday at 5pm so I can understand the severity of the situation and know just how far I would have to go to get the cash. He just kept telling me he would not enter into that conversation with me until Thursday 5pm and if i wished to find out more about the companies policies I should retain representation and then I would have to pay the companies representation 500 pounds an hour to discuss this matter.

I then questioned him as to whether he would be lenient given that the building is still on construction site and I have a lose exterior panel I have been asking to be fixed and wasn't there a major obligation to fix the exterior and structural components of building, he again laughed and said they don't care about the state of individual buildings.

Then I questioned him on my water, which the pipes had been crossed, ie hot connected to cold which resulted in the toilet flushing warm and the shower mainly only being a cold shower or full hot which would cause burns to skin if you used it which a few time i did do in the sink as being so used to cold water on the right side of the tap. He just said was the water drinkable? then there was no problem if it was drinkable, but I cant see that since I was letting a room with a shower and their negligence in fitting the pipes made it unusable.

The conversation ended with me being left with the impression that if i didn't have the money by 5pm Thursday that was it, he suggested borrowing from friends or seeing if the bank could do something quick. I always intended to give them their money and at the advertised 220 a week I was paid up until May 11, 2008 which to me I don't think the court would consider this in arrears. The end of the story was I had to sell my watch to a friend to get the cash yesterday and did pay them because I feared other wise I would be on the street tonight. So could you please give me your opinions on this situation and all relative points? I know it is a lot to ask but it would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Colincbayley
17-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Drink the cold water.
Shower with a mix of hot and cold water
Read your contract
Forget about the outside of the building
Pay your rent in full and on time as per the signed contract
Buy a new watch

cmp23
17-04-2008, 07:47 AM
So the fact that there is a lose exterior panel which bangs in the wind and makes it impossible to sleep and otherwise effects my enjoyment of the premises is irrelevant? I was under the impresson thr Landlord and Tennant act made it their responsibility to keep in good repair the exterior of the building?

Mars Mug
17-04-2008, 08:35 AM
A thermostatic shower will not operate properly if the hot and cold water pipes are reversed, you will have no practical control over the temperature, it may even be dangerous. Flushing hot water down the toilet is of course costly.

Sort out your finances and then write a letter detailing the problems with the water and the loose panel, and I suggest you get a friend to read the letter first to make sure it is concise and to the point.

caroline7758
17-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Talk to the student welfare office!