PDA

View Full Version : Check in and check out cost

vin
15-04-2008, 21:59 PM
Is there any known ruling on check in an check out cost.

someone told me the tenant has to pay for the check out and not the check in.......

I see no difference doing it one way or the other, I have a preference for charging on the way in and not on the way out........since if they withhold the rent they are as hell aint gonna pay for a check out......

ANY THOUGHTS PLEASE

SEB
16-04-2008, 02:52 AM
Is there any known ruling on check in an check out cost.

someone told me the tenant has to pay for the check out and not the check in.......

I see no difference doing it one way or the other, I have a preference for charging on the way in and not on the way out........since if they withhold the rent they are as hell aint gonna pay for a check out......

ANY THOUGHTS PLEASE

I don't think it really matters which way round you do it.

In my experience on my own property and as a Property Manager, the landlord pays the check-in and the tenant pays the check-out.
The theory I have followed is that the tenant already has a number of demands on their finances when moving home and doing it this way round, helps them.
The check-out fee is usually taken from the deposit.

I have always quoted a figure in the agreement that the check-out fee will not go above, as advised by ARLA, so the tenant knows the extent of their liability and can plan for when they leave with confidence.

Colincbayley
16-04-2008, 09:22 AM
I don't charge any fees for a check in or check out, although if I did I would make the tenant pay the ingoing fee because of the reasons stated above.

The tenant may well have a drain on their money when moving into a new home, however, this goes the same when they move out of your property and into a NEW one!!

SEB
16-04-2008, 12:29 PM
I don't charge any fees for a check in or check out, although if I did I would make the tenant pay the ingoing fee because of the reasons stated above.

I don't charge either - its the inventory clerk that does.

The tenant may well have a drain on their money when moving into a new home, however, this goes the same when they move out of your property and into a NEW one!!

Yes, but the tenant has paid a deposit which makes it easy to deduct the charge from.

Colincbayley
16-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Yes, but the tenant has paid a deposit which makes it easy to deduct the charge from.

That would depend, if there is any damage or O/s rent when they leave, hence any deposit left.

IF such a charge was being made, then surely it would make sense to get it upfront?

heather5
17-04-2008, 20:22 PM
Hi Guys

As a tenant through an agency - I get to pay check-in and check-out fees of £80 per time.

I didn't know this when I agreed to take the property on - it was only when it came to signing that I discovered it by which time I'd already paid the deposit at their insistance and £173 for the credit checks stuff.

So, in effect the person before me also paid to check-out and they duplicated the cost by charging me for checking-in.

What was worse - was that the Clerk doing the check-in missed major stuff - stains on the carpet - kitchen lino was torn - and missed the dents in the bathroom sink never mind the paper coming away from the ceiling in the bathroom.

It annoyed me that I had to point them out - having given him enough time to see them for himself.

It took over 2 hours of my time to check in - and I wasn't told it would take that long when I agreed to meet to collect the keys. Plus the guy was late - 40 minutes late - so my employer made me have half a day off work when I had only anticipated 1 hour at the most - not nearly 3 hours!!!

Worse still - I then got the tenancy agreement from the agency after I'd moved in - 2 weeks later - and none of the photos he was supposed to have done to prove the damage are there!!!!

Hate to think what will happen when I move out.

It was tempting to bill the agency my time ..... but I was so desperate to move in by this time - that I didn't.

Bit naughty I think - and if I had time I'd find-out whether it's actually legal to charge in this way, I would have done.

Good to know that there are decent landlords on this site who don't try this scam.

SEB
17-04-2008, 21:30 PM
Hi Guys

As a tenant through an agency - I get to pay check-in and check-out fees of £80 per time.

I didn't know this when I agreed to take the property on - it was only when it came to signing that I discovered it by which time I'd already paid the deposit at their insistance and £173 for the credit checks stuff.

So, in effect the person before me also paid to check-out and they duplicated the cost by charging me for checking-in.

What was worse - was that the Clerk doing the check-in missed major stuff - stains on the carpet - kitchen lino was torn - and missed the dents in the bathroom sink never mind the paper coming away from the ceiling in the bathroom.

It annoyed me that I had to point them out - having given him enough time to see them for himself.

It took over 2 hours of my time to check in - and I wasn't told it would take that long when I agreed to meet to collect the keys. Plus the guy was late - 40 minutes late - so my employer made me have half a day off work when I had only anticipated 1 hour at the most - not nearly 3 hours!!!

Worse still - I then got the tenancy agreement from the agency after I'd moved in - 2 weeks later - and none of the photos he was supposed to have done to prove the damage are there!!!!

Hate to think what will happen when I move out.

It was tempting to bill the agency my time ..... but I was so desperate to move in by this time - that I didn't.

Bit naughty I think - and if I had time I'd find-out whether it's actually legal to charge in this way, I would have done.

Good to know that there are decent landlords on this site who don't try this scam.

Outrageous!

I would seek legal advice about being charged twice.

How long ago did you move in?

if recently, you should write to the letting agent, inventory clerk & landlord, pointing out the discrepancies (including some pictures if you want) and giving them 1 week-10 days to come and re-examine the property and that if they do not respond in this time frame, you are taking it that they are happy to accept these discrepancies that now form part of the inventory report.

Send the letters by recorded delivery, with the recorded delivery number shown in the letter.