PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of lodgers

Donna
15-04-2008, 18:26 PM
I posted a thread on here a little while back about nightmare lodgers. Let me just clarify - we are not landlords, we are letting out a room in our house on a lodging basis.

In the previous thread a number of other people said we should just kick these people out. It's getting to that point now - they really are driving us mad.

Has anybody actually ever thrown anybody out? It's easy to say in advice but has anybody actually done it?

If so, how did you do it and how did it go? Can we legally chuck somebody out?

Advice appreciated......

Bel
15-04-2008, 19:16 PM
http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=9369

As long as you share a kitchen or bathroom with them, you can evict them if there is good reason.

If the lodger has paid rent you will be breaking contact if you evict before rent is used up or the notice in the terms of your agreement is ignored.

If their behaviour is criminal or intolerable to you, and your sefaty is at risk, just wait until they go out and lock them out. Change the locks. Get advice from police if you are worried.

Give them some notice if you feel it is fair/appropriate, But your safety comes first.

I dont know your personal circumsatnces so this is just general advice.

I have not done this myself, but once you have decided you need to get the bit between your teeth and just do it.

Donna
15-04-2008, 19:44 PM
Thanks Bel

That's a good link you posted - very interesting.

We have given them an agreement but so far they have completely ignored it. We're even prepared to give them rent back pro-rata if they leave as soon as possible. But we think they may end up being awkward.

As I said, it's all very well saying "chuck them out", etc., but has anybody here actually done it and what were their experiences?

Thanks again

D.

Colincbayley
15-04-2008, 20:19 PM
Has anybody actually ever thrown anybody out? It's easy to say in advice but has anybody actually done it? Yes.

If so, how did you do it and how did it go? Pick them up by the scruff of the neck and chuck them out! Can we legally chuck somebody out?Yes

Choose your exit point well, and don't forget to open the window if this is where you choose for them to leave.

However, joking aside, it is very simple, give them what ever notice you desire or are contracted for and advise them to leave by this time.
If you are not happy doing this yourself ( some people are a little bit shy ) then ask a friend to back you up.

Bel
16-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Physical force is a no-no

Colincbayley
16-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Physical force is a no-no

Unless trying to open a stuck door! :D

Figaro
16-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Don't you have to give an eviction notice in writing? I know you said they are only lodgers and not tenants but have they signed any kind of tenancy agreement? If so you have to put it in writing and give them so many days to find a place and get out.

Have you tried saying to them "Look its not working out and I'm afraid you're going to have to find somewhere else to live"?

if there's no agreement in place, just dump their stuff on the front and change the locks.

marad_2001
13-09-2008, 23:19 PM
A friend of mine was chucked out of his house.

The landlord waited till they went out then chucked his stuff out on the front lawn.

If you're worried they'll retaliate in some way call the police.