PDA

View Full Version : Agents won't fix my boiler!

haggard
15-04-2008, 08:48 AM
I am currently renting through an agent and the landlord has specified that no maintainance work can be carried out without his authorisation. I have been trying to get hold of him for a week now without success. The agents can't get hold of him either. The upstairs boiler is leaking and the water was dripping through the downstairs ceiling. I have had to turn the boiler off (hence no hot water or heating) and put a bucket under the boiler to catch the water. Unfortunately I am away next week and will be unable to change the bucket which will result in it overflowing and then a collapsed ceiling downstairs. Even though the agents know this they are still unwilling to help as they have to adhere to the landlords request. I have 3 children and not having hot water is intolerable but a collapsed ceiling would be significantly worse. Is there anything I can do about this? I would be grateful for any help as I am now becoming quite desperate.

jeffrey
15-04-2008, 08:51 AM
L is committing a criminal offence: s.11 of LTA 1985. Tell local authority (Consumer Protection, Env. Health, Tenant Advice, Public Safety, or something similar); they may well be interested in prosecuting him, esp. if he is a known villain in the area.

Colincbayley
15-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Your LL has a legal obligation to provide you with heating and hot water. Your situation is unacceptable in my book. As such I would phone the agent today and advise that unless the matter is resolved within 48 hours, then you will appoint your own plumber and deduct the cost from next months rent.

The agent is not looking after the LL's interests if they are going to let the property get damaged in this way!!

housed
15-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Get 2 or 3 quotes for the work in the 48 hours (I'd notify them in writting (maybe fax? or email with a read / delievery receipt request, keep copies). After 48 hours give notice in writting (keeping a copy) stating that your going to use the lowest quote to get the work done in say 24 hours and if the landlord doesn't pay you'll deduct the money from the rent. Prevents that landlord from saying you got a ridiculously priced plumber to do the work (yes i know he should have done it in the first place!)

housed
15-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Eep, that's jolly confusing :) old fashioned pen, paper and photocopier it is then!

Esio Trot
15-04-2008, 12:45 PM
There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't

Actually there are 11 as you have those that don't even understand the statement above.

P.Pilcher
15-04-2008, 12:47 PM
There is case law which suggests that, particularly as you have a young family, you may book into a moderately priced local hotel and remain there at your landlord's expense until the boiler is repaired and once again providing you with heat and hot water.

P.P.

jeffrey
15-04-2008, 13:25 PM
There are two types of people in the world - those who think there are two types of people in the world, and those who don't.

No- there are three types of people in the world:
A. Those who can add-up.
B. Those who can't.