PDA

View Full Version : expired gas certificate

fallenlord
14-04-2008, 11:42 AM
We let out a property (as agents) and recently discovered that contrary to the landlord’s assurances the gas fire does actually does work and the tenants had been using it. This was a surprise and concern to us as we also discovered the Landlords Certificate had expired. We have now had our own engineer check and certificate it and it’s all fine. But the tenants are kicking up a fuss - what recourse do they have if any against us or the landlord? Ive just spoken to Corgi and the rep seemed to think we would be fine (although she didnt sound too certain).

thanks for your comments

Colincbayley
14-04-2008, 11:53 AM
As agents, I think you have done the right thing, so I wouldn't worry too much.

jeffrey
14-04-2008, 11:55 AM
If there's a gas fire that doesn't work, is L nevertheless required to have it inspected and certified (or capped-off)?

red40
14-04-2008, 14:12 PM
If you have a current and valid landlords gas safety record regardless of what has happened in the past, I tend to find CORGI and/or the HSE aren't bothered.

They may if there are a significant number of appliances write to the landlord and advise them of their legal responsibilties.

P.Pilcher
14-04-2008, 14:25 PM
If the gas fire does not work and has in some way been disconnected from the gas supply so that at least a screwdriver is needed to turn on a valve to restore supplies, certification is not needed. If the gas fire was installed and working, then you, as agents should have required a copy of the current gas safety certificate from the landlord, or sight of the original before being a party to a tenant taking up residence in the property.
As a current gas safety certificate is now in force, it is very unlikely that any regulatory action can be taken as the correct remedial action has been taken as soon as soon as the problem was discovered.

P.P.