PDA

View Full Version : HMO - How do I evict a tenant?

KANE990
13-04-2008, 07:37 AM
I have a tenant who I wish to evict for non payment of rent?

The property is shared with others each on seperate AST's.

The tenant in question informed me I need to provide alternative accomadation for them if I wish to reclaim the property as I did not mention I may move back to the property at the outset of the tenancy.

Also the original tenancy was destroyed in a fire and I do not have a copy, how do I go about claiming the uppaid rent and removal of this tenant with out removing the rest of the tenants in the property? Legally.

Please help, Thank you!

Colincbayley
13-04-2008, 07:58 AM
The lack of a written AST is a pain but not a problem. You DO NOT have to provide alternative accomodation.
Just issue the tenant with a S.21 notice, or S.8 if the facts fit.

red40
13-04-2008, 09:15 AM
If the property is 3 storey or more and is occupied by 5 or more persons in 2 households and is licensable you cant use a section 21 notice, so just issue a section 8 notice as colin says as long as he owes enough rent, which I believe is 8 weeks worth :confused:

housed
13-04-2008, 11:28 AM
8 weeks if rent is weekly, two months if it's monthly for ground 8.

If it's a licensable HMO and you don't have one or a temporary exemption then you can't use sec 21's.

If you are using a sec 21 and don't have a tenancy agreement you might want to use the Lower Street Properties wording rather than give a date which you require possession after.

Is rent due weekly? if so you should have provided the tenant with a rent book.

KANE990
13-04-2008, 20:28 PM
Thank you.

jasminedavid
14-04-2008, 06:54 AM
Hi!

Now your problems are solved or not? Tenants are having some different ideas, they are using some different ethics to their house owners. So we have to safe ours!

Colincbayley
14-04-2008, 07:30 AM
Hi!

Now your problems are solved or not? Tenants are having some different ideas, they are using some different ethics to their house owners. So we have to safe ours!

Think you have been drinking too much of your own brew !!