PDA

View Full Version : 3 month tenancy

alidee
10-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Have someone possibly moving into a room in one of our properties.
At present he is waiting for his CISC card before he is allowed back on the building site. He says he definately has work once he has his cards in about 2 weeks.
Landlord is happy for him (well his mum) to pay 3 months rent upfront on the understanding that if he doesnt have a job at the end of it she becomes his guarantor or he leaves.
Just wondering how this can be written into the tenancy agreement-what wording to use.Is it ok to just give 3 months tenancy as I know some companies do ?
Thanks for any suggestions :)

kayak
10-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Why don't you reference her as a guarantor from the outset instead of after three months and set the tenacy up with this guarantor in place.

You may be interested in my post regarding AT vs AST's.

As you probably know, an AST for three months will basically give permission for the tenant to stay for six months as you can't issue a S21 in the first 4 months of tenancy.

Kind regards,

John

jeffrey
10-04-2008, 10:36 AM
You can't issue a S21 in the first 4 months of tenancy.
Yes, you can.
You can serve it as soon as the AST starts! It's only that the Court cannot make a Possession Order taking effect during the first six months.

Colincbayley
10-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Have someone possibly moving into a room in one of our properties.
At present he is waiting for his CISC card before he is allowed back on the building site. He says he definately has work once he has his cards in about 2 weeks.
Landlord is happy for him (well his mum) to pay 3 months rent upfront on the understanding that if he doesnt have a job at the end of it she becomes his guarantor or he leaves.
Just wondering how this can be written into the tenancy agreement-what wording to use.Is it ok to just give 3 months tenancy as I know some companies do ?
Thanks for any suggestions :)

I couple of options spring to mind.
If the tenant is sure he will have work after two weeks, then agree for him to start paying the monthly rent after month one, that way you will always have two months in hand.
You can issue a 3 month AST, but can not apply to the courts for a possession order until after 6 months, however this would not stop you using the S.8 route if you end up with 2 months rent unpaid.
I would just sign up the guarantor from day 1 if it were me.

kayak
10-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Yes, you can.
You can serve it as soon as the AST starts! It's only that the Court cannot make a Possession Order taking effect during the first six months.

Apologies I didn't quite mean what I wrote! Completely agree with your above quote of the posession taking effect at the end of the six months.

Kind regards,

alidee
11-04-2008, 21:45 PM
Leading on from this a bit - I know of one company who issues 3 month tenancy agreements as standard. Am I being stupid but what is the point if possession still cannot be gained until after 6 months?
Maybe its late and I'm tired but what does everyone think ?

Cheers

Alidee

bagpuss
12-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Have a look at this thread:
http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=70814#post70814