PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please - Hand Rails

kbrown2
09-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Teneats have been in my property for six months. This is looked after by an agency. They are now saying that I need to have two handrails on the stairs and want to charge me for the installation. Does anybody know if this must be done legally?

jeffrey
09-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Teneats have been in my property for six months. This is looked after by an agency. They are now saying that I need to have two handrails on the stairs and want to charge me for the installation. Does anybody know if this must be done legally?

Are they disabled?

Ericthelobster
09-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Teneats have been in my property for six months. This is looked after by an agency. They are now saying that I need to have two handrails on the stairs and want to charge me for the installation. Does anybody know if this must be done legally?Other than the disabled thing, what's the situation? Is this an ordinary internal staircase, which has no current handrails? Are we talking two handrails either side of the same stairs, or just one rail over two sections of stairs? Roughly how old is the property or any major building works (relevant to building regs)?

katherinewilliam
09-04-2008, 10:52 AM
What is Hand Rails?

Ericthelobster
09-04-2008, 11:02 AM
What is Hand Rails?No, the OP said "handrails" - it was an obvious typo for "mandrails" - these are baboon-like apes which we landlords over in Europe (which FYI is a small place to the northeast of New York) are obliged to provide our tenants with to guard the property.

Colincbayley
09-04-2008, 11:09 AM
No, the OP said "handrails" - it was an obvious typo for "mandrails" - these are baboon-like apes which we landlords over in Europe (which FYI is a small place to the northeast of New York) are obliged to provide our tenants with to guard the property.

If there is a shortage of mandrails, is it ok to use chimps, or is there some govenment policy stating that it's mandrails or nothing?

jeffrey
09-04-2008, 11:24 AM
If there is a shortage of mandrails, is it ok to use chimps, or is there some govenment policy stating that it's mandrails or nothing?

It's cheap as chimps.

kbrown2
09-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Other than the disabled thing, what's the situation? Is this an ordinary internal staircase, which has no current handrails? Are we talking two handrails either side of the same stairs, or just one rail over two sections of stairs? Roughly how old is the property or any major building works (relevant to building regs)?

The tenants are not disabled. This is an ordinary staircase with one handrail currently. The property is 25 years old.

kbrown2
09-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Handrails are used on the staircase.

jeffrey
09-04-2008, 12:05 PM
The tenants are not disabled. This is an ordinary staircase with one handrail currently. The property is 25 years old.

If it is in a reasonable condition and as safe as might be expected, you as L have no duty to add handrails merely because T requests.

jeffrey
09-04-2008, 12:07 PM
What is Hand Rails?

So what do American use as the word for a bannister to which one can hold-on when ascending a staircase?

Colincbayley
09-04-2008, 13:13 PM
So what do American use as the word for a bannister to which one can hold-on when ascending a staircase?

A can of beer ?

jeffrey
09-04-2008, 13:24 PM
A can of beer ?

Strewth, cobber, not a tinny of Fosters?

attilathelandlord
09-04-2008, 15:07 PM
a can of beer is four words not one!

jeffrey
09-04-2008, 18:07 PM
Councils can insist on them for loft rooms for HMOs.

...but can T?

Colincbayley
09-04-2008, 18:41 PM
a can of beer is four words not one!

Not after you have drunk 6 cans, as all words then just blur into one!

Hic!

jeffrey
09-04-2008, 18:43 PM
Not after you have drunk 6 cans, as all words then just blur into one!

Hic!

Blur, because it's not then an oasis.

Colincbayley
09-04-2008, 18:44 PM
Blur, because it's not then an oasis.

This is very true. Besides everyone knows that Oasis were much better than Blur!

( Awaiting flack now from Blur fans !! )

jeffrey
09-04-2008, 18:49 PM
This is very true. Besides everyone knows that Oasis were much better than Blur!

( Awaiting flack now from Blur fans !! )

Pulp the lot of them.

attilathelandlord
09-04-2008, 21:17 PM
Well I'll be Damned!