PDA

View Full Version : Landlord withholding deposit

joegro
04-04-2008, 16:48 PM
My situation is this:

I have been a tenant for 2.5 years. I recently moved out. The agent is withholding my deposit. I had heard no reply from them until after three weeks that I called them. They then sent a copy of the inventory checkout to me. They also sent a release form to fill in, where they had deducted £300 for replacement of blinds. According to the inventory report, the blinds in all rooms are in "working order". They responded to this by saying they have asked the inventory clerk to go back and check the property again.

It could be added that during the time I spent in the flat, the agent has been very slow in dealing with problems. Among things are two fairly major water leaks that took 4-8 weeks before being attended and one summer when the refrigerator broke, and I had to wait three weeks before the broken refrigerator was replaced. I have never asked for any deduction of rent for this. Therefore, I am (to say the least) angry with their treatment of me when I do move out.

My question is: can the landlord redo the inventory checkout two weeks later? If not, can I sue them for my deposit?

Also, can I sue the landlord/agent for not giving me recompense for the period with problems in the flat?

At the moment, I feel like I am more interested in causing maximum discomfort and cost for the agent than in minimising my problems.

Thank you in advance.