PDA

View Full Version : Bailiffs looking for old tenant - moral dilemma

ncooper1974
03-04-2008, 08:08 AM
A tenant moved out of my rented property approx 6 months ago. Before I returned his deposit, I ensured that all outstanding bills (elec, council tax, Bt, etc) were settled.
The other day, the current tenant informs me that he had a visit from the bailiffs about an unpaid council tax demand, and was presented with a Removal Notice. It turns out that although the old tenant had settled all his bills on my property, he actually had unpaid bills from one of his properties.

I've informed the council, and bailiffs, about the tenant moving on and they are happy to acknowledge that my current tenant will not be liable. But they have asked me for the contact details of my old tenant.

Im sure that I have at the very least his mobile number as this would be on his original tenancy agreement. Question is, should I oblidge and forward these details onto the debt recovery firm? Or just say that I dont have any contact details?
Has anyone else been in the same situation? Am I legally obliged to help?

Planner
03-04-2008, 09:30 AM
If the situation where reversed and the tenant owed you money and you wanted the council to tell you some information about them from the council tax records, do you think it would be forthcoming?

Esio Trot
03-04-2008, 11:10 AM
If the situation where reversed and the tenant owed you money and you wanted the council to tell you some information about them from the council tax records, do you think it would be forthcoming?

My thoughts exactly.

I've been there, and it's like getting blood from a stone.

davidjohnbutton
05-04-2008, 00:02 AM
Tell them to make an application in writing to you for release of the info under s.35 of the data protection act and your fee is £10.00

That way, you make a tenner and you have not broken the law in any way.

sibec
07-04-2008, 10:20 AM

Not quite valid an argument. The money owed belongs to the public, so the OP SHOULD shop his ex-tenant.

Pobinr
07-04-2008, 13:18 PM
Do you like being owed money yourself ?
Shop her