PDA

View Full Version : Help and guidance on how to evict tenants (fast track)

atearth
02-04-2008, 14:54 PM
I've served a two month notice for the tenant to leave because they stopped paying rent and have damaged the property.

Due to leave on 3rd of March 2008.

What happens if they don't leave.

What can I do to get them out of my property and onto the blacklist and CCJ?

andyr
02-04-2008, 15:01 PM
If they don't leave the you're pretty much screwed. They've got all the power.

You'll need to apply to the court for a Possession Order which will take ages. There is some scope for an accelerated process if you've got an AST, although I'm not sure how much this actually speeds things up.

Of course once you've got the Possession Order they can ignore that too. So back to the courts to get a Court Bailiff appointed. And they are s-l-o-w.

And all of that is going to cost you money in legal fees that you can't reclaim. Great eh!

In the meantime they can change the locks without consulting you and continue to make your life hell.

Oh, and there is no 'blacklist'.

atearth
02-04-2008, 15:04 PM
What does AST mean?

P.Pilcher
02-04-2008, 15:12 PM
Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement, which it what you should have used when you first admitted them as tenants.

P.P.

jeffrey
02-04-2008, 15:13 PM
What does AST mean?
Assured
Shorthold
Tenancy;
see Housing Act 1988 (esp. sections 19A and 21).

Esio Trot
02-04-2008, 15:13 PM
What does AST mean?

Assured Shorthold Tenancy.

Though if you don't know this, I'm surprised that you considered handing an asset worth many thousands to a person who you "trust" will look after it and pay rent.

You also don't say how the two months notice was given, under what legislation it was issued, any dates (when it was sent, when it expires etc).

As has already been written, looks like it is going to cost you dear.

By the way, accelerated possession procedures do in a significant number of cases take longer that standard possession procedures - if the tenant has received advice and uses the system.

jeffrey
02-04-2008, 20:22 PM
Oh, and there is no 'blacklist'.
But there is a Register of County Court Judgments.

andyr
02-04-2008, 21:47 PM
But there is a Register of County Court Judgments.

As a private LL, what would be the best way of checking T against this list?

A search on the Registry Trust website for £8?