PDA

View Full Version : tenancy agreements

porridge
01-04-2008, 21:18 PM
Well i've had a nightmare tenant, I wanted to sell up and get out, but the credit crunch has stalled the property market and I am concerned it could take quite a while to sell. I am therefore going to rent the property out again, the tenant moves out in May and I want to ensure I don't make the same mistakes again, the biggest error was giving a 12 month AST !

Does anyone have a ready made AST that covers a few bases, these being

6 months AST
Dealing with rent arrears
Penalties for rent arrears - possibly even mention of debt collection agency.(that would stand up in court).

I don't want to be responsible for the repair of electrical appliances, but I understand some tenants want these items.

Any advice on selection of new tenants and things I should do to ensure checks are done properly

I would love to dump the agents and either find new agents or advertise myself, however, relations between me and the current tenants make it impossible for me do this.

Thanks for any advice offered

P.Pilcher
02-04-2008, 10:24 AM
I understand that some AST's are available on the internet for free - some sites will provide them when you sign up to use other free services that they provide - with a little understandable advertising/promotion. Alternatively, for a small fee you can go to www.oyezformslink.co.uk and download what you require. This is one of the sites used for such items by legal professionals.
Make sure that the document you use contains clauses referring to how the tenants deposit will be held - it has to be with the TDS or an insurance backed scheme these days, and ensure that the form states that the fixed term is only 6 months long - if it says any more, alter it to the minimum of six months.
Break clauses: these are often inserted with tenancy agreements for longer than 6 months and one topic expert here quite rightly hates them! Just make the period six months.

If your potential tenant demands electrical appliances - find one who will find his own! It is usually impossible to get extra rent to defray the additional cost and maintenance charges for supplying these items, so don't bother.

P.P.

PaulF
02-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Things you can and can't do............
Well i've had a nightmare tenant, I wanted to sell up and get out, but the credit crunch has stalled the property market and I am concerned it could take quite a while to sell. I am therefore going to rent the property out again, the tenant moves out in May and I want to ensure I don't make the same mistakes again, the biggest error was giving a 12 month AST !

Does anyone have a ready made AST that covers a few bases, these being

6 months AST You can try www.eastmidlandsdash.org.uk where you will fin a free AST and lots more info besides.[ /COLOR]
Dealing with rent arrears
Penalties for rent arrears - possibly even mention of debt collection agency.(that would stand up in court). [COLOR="Red"]You can't "penalise" a tenant for rent arrears other than charge interest at a reasonable rate

I don't want to be responsible for the repair of electrical appliances, but I understand some tenants want these items. You can't contract out of this - if they are in the property you have the responsibility whether you like it or not

Any advice on selection of new tenants and things I should do to ensure checks are done properly Use the service on this site for referencing at the tp of this page

I would love to dump the agents and either find new agents or advertise myself, however, relations between me and the current tenants make it impossible for me do this. Not necessarily

Thanks for any advice offered