PDA

View Full Version : Can I post 'squatters' warning outside our communal building?

andyr
01-04-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm thinking of putting up a note outside the front door of the building where T and T's girlfriend (who has never had license) are living to warn the other residents that there are 'squatters' in the building (as T and girlfriend have stayed beyond the NTQ and end of tenancy, even despite being £12,000 behind on rent and running up a £100 per day liability).

Would this be classed as harassment? Surely the other residents of the building have in interest in being informed that these people are occupying the property without permission and that they are also willfully breaking the building's head lease by being there?

Beeber
01-04-2008, 17:29 PM
They aren't squatters. They have possession of the property until you gain repossession through the courts.

You'd benefit from putting your energies in this direction. Owing 2 months rent at the time of serving an S8 and at the time of the court hearing (assuming paperwork correctly completed and served) would mean that the judge has no choice but to award you possession on that mandatory ground.

andyr
01-04-2008, 20:16 PM
They aren't squatters. They have possession of the property until you gain repossession through the courts.

You'd benefit from putting your energies in this direction. Owing 2 months rent at the time of serving an S8 and at the time of the court hearing (assuming paperwork correctly completed and served) would mean that the judge has no choice but to award you possession on that mandatory ground.

Granted, T may not be a squatter, but surely his girlfriend is? She's not named in the tenancy agreement and I was always under the impression that T would be the sole occupant. Wouldn't that make her a trespasser without permission - i.e. a squatter? In any case, the neighbours are aware of what's going on and aren't very happy. I just want to make it clear to T and girlfriend that everyone knows what they're doing without being accused of harassment.

The main problem here is that this is not an AST due to the rent level so getting the Possession Order through the courts could take 4+ months, which I don't think I can afford. I'm the only wage earner and my salary doesn't cover the mortgage on the flat and the rent on the temporary accommodation for my family.

It's been hard enough to get through the last four months. Am having to grasp at anything I can get here.

Beeber
01-04-2008, 20:20 PM
I was beginning to suspect the rent was too high for an AST with the eviction process I mentioned. thanks for clarifying.

I suspect Girlfriend is defined as guest of the tenant.

Perhaps Jeffrey, our legal expert can advise whether this would be defined as harassment?

islandgirl
01-04-2008, 21:09 PM
I wouldn't put a notice up but would have a quiet word in the biggest gossip's ear!

jeffrey
01-04-2008, 21:18 PM
T's girlfriend is not a trespasser, as T (who has tenancy rights) permitted her to enter. That might well not be what L wants, and T is in breach by unauthorisedly sharing possession, but L's rights are against T only.

andyr
01-04-2008, 21:43 PM
I wouldn't put a notice up but would have a quiet word in the biggest gossip's ear!

That's exactly what I've done. Just want to make sure word gets back to T and girlfriend as I don't know how on earth they can sleep at night knowing what they're doing.

Stupidly I let T go the last four months of tenancy without paying the rent on the understanding he'd pay off what he could after he moved out. After showing him that patience and understanding he's turned round at the end of the tenancy and thrown it in my face... and now me and my family are now facing a pretty grim outlook.

but L's rights are against T only.

Is there no pressure whatsoever I can put on T's girlfriend? Unfortunately T seems to feel himself rather bullet proof to CCJs etc. due to existing hostile action by his ex-business partners (i.e. bankruptcy petition). He does appear to be somewhat sensitive to anything directed at girlfriend though.

Seems my only hope of not getting dragged down with him. Am getting pretty close to despair now.