PDA

View Full Version : Where do private London LLs advertise their properties?

Steve77
30-03-2008, 16:19 PM
Hi, I'm looking to rent a flat in South London (clapham to be specific), and would prefer to rent directly from a private landlord rather than through a letting agent. Where do most private landlords advertise their flats though? Gumtree and loot seem to be the only place with private rentals, and even then not that many compared to agency rentals. Do 90% of landlords use a letting agent or do I just not know where to look?

jta
30-03-2008, 17:56 PM
Try www.adzooks.com
Its a free community advertising board, I've just looked and there is something in Vauxhall

TenantsLuvMe
31-03-2008, 04:06 AM
Hi, I'm looking to rent a flat in South London (clapham to be specific), and would prefer to rent directly from a private landlord rather than through a letting agent. Where do most private landlords advertise their flats though? Gumtree and loot seem to be the only place with private rentals, and even then not that many compared to agency rentals. Do 90% of landlords use a letting agent or do I just not know where to look?

Loot and Gumtree are popular, but you could also drive around the area you area interested in and see if there are any TO LET boards outside any properties. More & more private landlords are doing this themselves when they realise how little letting agents are doing for their sky high commissions.

If any friends have company-wide notice boards that accept accommodation adverts, they could send you postings from that too.

I don't know if there has been an serious survey carried out on the private rented property market - it is, in my view, still largely a grey area, with people moving in and out of it without their activity being recorded, unlike pure businesses.

I think recent legislation by governments to "clean up" this game, such as the recent Deposit Protection Schemes may help, but I think they do more damage than good, especially with left-wing governments, who are fixated on a Utopian dream that will never come true (expect for them that is).

Pelican eats pigeon
10-04-2008, 16:25 PM

I am a tenant and have found every single property I've ever rented in London through Loot.

jeffrey
10-04-2008, 16:28 PM
I am a tenant and have found every single property I've ever rented in London through Loot.

"London through (or indeed 'thru') Loot?"
Sounds like volume 453 of a 15 000-volume USA encyclopaedia.