PDA

View Full Version : Should landlord/agent disclose neighbour problems?

annie1973
27-03-2008, 19:16 PM
I am at my witts end

4 weeks ago we viewed this property. when being shown around we explained that I would be on my own alot as my partner worked away and i needed to know any problems as i needed to feel safe and secure on my own. we were told that you get a few children playing in the street but nothing to be concerned about. we signed a tenancy agreement for 12 months.

2 days after we moved in we spoke to the landlord for the first time. he said that there had been alot of problems with the neighbours children and even said he thought the stress of these own going problems had caused his wife to have a miscarriage. He said that the police were aware of it and the housing association that these families rent from were also aware of the problems. he just gave us some telephone numbers to call should we have any problems. that night my partner and I stayed with my parents. about 11.00pm we got a call from the landlord stating that the police had been called as someone was seen breaking into our house and carrying boxes over the wall. He said he had been to the house and nothing looked disturbed. it turned out that goods were stolen from my next door neighbours garden but they had used our garden as a means of quick escape.

From that day the problems have continued. There are bunch of aprrox 12-15 teenagers that congrigate outside our house. They play football against the fence and the ball is constantly being kicked into the garden. We have approached the children and told them to knock and ask for the ball but they dont, they just climb over the 6ft fence and enter the garden. We have caught them in the garden onmany occassions. We had a sensor security light fitted and a few days later the kids kicked the ball at it and smashed it. Today my partner was in the garden and was hit by a broken piece of CD, it turns out the kids were throwing them against my house and onto the roof. When he confronted them they gave him a load of verbal abuse. I have a long list of problems and disruptions that these children have caused us. We have contacted the police only to be told that they were aware of these families! The families also hold parties until all hours of the morning with very loud music.

I now feel very nervous within my house. I cannot go outside on my own in the evenings as it is very intimidating walking passed them. I cant sleep with all the stress and worry this is causing me. My partner is having to take time off work as he doesn't want to leave me in this house alone.

I have signed a 12 months lease but really want to get out of this house.

What I need to know is should the letting agent or landlord have told me about these neighbour problems before i signed the lease? Are they under any obligation to give me this information knowing that I would not have taken the house if I'd have known?Would an act of law like the Misrepresentation Act cover me as a tenant.

Any help or advice would be so much appreciated.

thank you

justaboutsane
28-03-2008, 07:10 AM
I am not sure on the legalities of this, however, you should do your own research. I know its not always easy but really you should have visited late at night etc and you would have found these issues yourselves.

Sorry to sound harsh but its the same when you buy a house, always research before you "buy" and many of these problems would have been answered.

pete's properties
28-03-2008, 07:49 AM
I don't know much about law. However there is one that states the seller of a house must disclose any disputes there have been with neighbours.

Other readers may know more about what constitutes a dispute, and whether this can apply to where a house is rented rather than sold.

Good luck, I know how you feel, I've been there. Remember, wherever you move to next will seem like heaven. I had to move because of neighbours. I lost money but it was worth it for peace of mind.

jeffrey
31-03-2008, 12:14 PM
I don't know much about law. However there is one that states the seller of a house must disclose any disputes there have been with neighbours.

Other readers may know more about what constitutes a dispute, and whether this can apply to where a house is rented rather than sold.
There is no duty to volunteer information, whether in sale or letting, but all information given must be true.
If T did not ask about neighbours/neighbourhood, L can therefore keep silent even re known problems.