PDA

View Full Version : letting contract question

Omana
27-03-2008, 18:11 PM
Hi all,

I have signed and paid a "pre-deposit" for a flat fully furnished with good quality furnitures. The flat was advertised as furnished and when I saw it the the estate agent assured me that the furnitures where staying. But 3 days later the estate agent told me that the landlord wanted to rent it unfurnished and was not flexible on this. Even if I have paid, signed and that my "References check" has been done the flat is still present on the estate agency website but now advertised as unfurnished. Finally the landlord has agreed to buy a bed and a sofa only.
When I signed I also told them that I wanted to move one week later than when they wanted me to move. That was almost 2 weeks ago. Now they still want me to move at the date they want whereas this problem (furnished/unfurnished and negociation with the landlord through the estate agents) has delayed the notice I had to give to my actuals landlords. So my actual landlords are kind enough to negociate one week with me but not 2. So it means that I might end up by having to pay for 2 flats during one or 2 weeks.
My question is considering that I am still interested in the flat, what
are my rights or advantages in term of negociation (furnitures provided, moving date, (rent))?

Thanks for your answers if you have any.

Omana

jta
28-03-2008, 03:19 AM
From the LLs point of view letting the property unfurnished frees him from the problem of maintenance on the furniture, as well as the initial cost. He may well get a little less in rent as well of course. Also, it can be quite difficult to furnish a place in such a way that it is going to appeal to all sections of the renting market. With a blank slate the Tenant can furnish as much or as less as he wants. The property should have the basics however, such as a decently fitted kitchen and carpets/flooring etc.
Another point is that an unfurnished property can be exempt from council tax for up to six months if it is completely empty of furniture (not a stick). If there is any in it then CT is payable even if it is empty. Hope this helps