PDA

View Full Version : Tenant leaving, but how to dispose of fridge?

Alexandra
27-03-2008, 15:08 PM
Hi everyone

I am new to this site and am wondering if you can offer some advice. My husband and I are moving out of the flat we rented for 4 and half years in the next few weeks. We are totally up to date with our rent and gave one months notice as required.

When we moved into the flat there was a fridge left by the previous tenant. We were told at the time that the landlord had no responsbility for the fridge as it was not their's so if it ever broke it would be up to us to fix it or not. That was fine, and we didn't think much about it because we never used it anyway as we had our own fridge. But now we've come to move out the managing agent has told us that we have to get rid of that fridge as well as our own property otherwise they will charge us for its removal. Is this correct even though we were not told this when we first moved in and would not have agreed to it if we had been?

Secondly, the agent wants us to post the keys back to them but they told me that if they get lost in the post they will charge us for replacement locks. I do not think this is fair and would rather take the keys round to their office, but they haven't given us this option. Do you think if we offer to take the keys round and they refuse they can still charge us if they go missing in the post (I know that even recorded deliveries can go missing!).

Thanks for your help.

LalaCem
27-03-2008, 15:57 PM
Unless it says in ur contract that u got to post the keys I dont see why u have to. take a witnes when u take it physically to the office and hand it over..obviously tell them this also to cover ur back.

Fridge: check ur contract..it'll probably say ur responsible for removing ur own stuff..obviously the fridge isnt urs and they cant really prove it so tell them ur not gonna do /agentLL's job...
Obviously next time around..get the LL to remove eveyrthing u dont need..
let us know how u go..good luck!

Alexandra
27-03-2008, 17:41 PM
Thanks for the advice.
The new place we're moving into was only lived in my the landlord previously, so we shouldn't get into this problem again! Also, both our new landlord and agent seem very nice and reasonable. Unfortunately, our current letting agent has a tendency to be rude and rather unreasonable so I'm very reluctant to get into any further debates with them.

TenantsLuvMe
27-03-2008, 20:37 PM
Unless it says in ur contract that u got to post the keys I dont see why u have to. take a witnes when u take it physically to the office and hand it over..obviously tell them this also to cover ur back.

Fridge: check ur contract..it'll probably say ur responsible for removing ur own stuff..obviously the fridge isnt urs and they cant really prove it so tell them ur not gonna do /agentLL's job...
Obviously next time around..get the LL to remove eveyrthing u dont need..
let us know how u go..good luck!

The lazy, careless and sloppy use of English language permeates yet another portal.

Joelp3333
27-03-2008, 21:52 PM
hey I agree with the above lalachem he/she cannot spell for sheeeeeeeeee@t tata you are on the wrong forum.

Go to "www.tenantneedstonesectioned.com"

Joelp3333
27-03-2008, 21:54 PM
alexadra dont trust letting agents just landlords!

LalaCem
31-03-2008, 15:21 PM
The lazy, careless and sloppy use of English language permeates yet another portal.

This is rich coming from some one who has spelt his/her name as TenantsLuvMe

Joelp3333: Ever heard of text speak? Ever send any one a txt msg? Its normally used when people don't have a lot of time to type in complete english in case you weren't aware!

If you do not have anything constructive to say or be helpful to other members seeking advice please don't fill this space with your nonsense. Both of you seem more interested in picking hole at in my english than to help Alexandra.

Alexandra: If you know your contract well then you have a firm ground to stand on. If your letting agent is rude, ask to speak to his manager and formally complain about his/her behaviour/attitude. Let me put it another way for you.
What is worse? a) Telling the agent you stand firm and will not move any property which has been in the place from day one and is not part of your contract (obviously check this!) OR b) Spend your time/money/effort in moving something which doesn't even belong to you in the first place ?
C'mon shows these guys you mean business! - Good luck!!

TenantsLuvMe
01-04-2008, 01:22 AM
Joelp3333: Ever heard of text speak? Ever send any one a txt msg? Its normally used when people don't have a lot of time to type in complete english in case you weren't aware!

Yet you spend a fair amount of time on this forum, typing out lots of words, so you aren't actually deprived of time, are you?

Why can't you just own up to being plain old lazy?

LalaCem
01-04-2008, 07:53 AM
Comparing the # of posts, I'd say you have more time on your hands than me.
Let me repeat for the 2nd time, if you do not have anything meaningful to post, don't waste the forum member's time. Part of the reason you registered on this forum was to help other memebers not pick holes at useless things. If you cannot help Alexandra, you should not be posting here. Consider this my last post on this topic TenantsLuvMe.

Dazed&Confused
02-04-2008, 08:10 AM
Re the fridge and avoiding disputes, you could try advertising it on your local Freecycle list if it still works (and if you have it in writing that you're 'supposed' to get rid of it, so the landlord / agent can't turn around and say it was theirs after all!).

http://www.freecycle.org/

Things advertised on our local list seem to be snapped up pretty quickly if they are in working condition and it would free you up to discuss the keys issue separately.

jeffrey
02-04-2008, 14:30 PM
Take care: isn't there some Euro nonsense regulation re disposal of refrigerators and deep-freezers?

Esio Trot
02-04-2008, 15:06 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I would be hesitant on acting on the advice you refer to. Landlord and tenant relations are a legal minefield, and if you act on text speak, which is hardly a precise form of English, you may get bitten.

May I suggest you look out your inventory and your tenancy agreement, read what either/both say about vacating, and let us know the wording.

That way you can get specific advice more attuned to your situation.

P.Pilcher
02-04-2008, 15:09 PM
If the agent refuses to accept the keys by them being delivered to his office, ie by you visiting his office, entering same and placing them on his desk then visit his office, equipped with independent witness, place same in envelope and get witness to observe you putting envelope through the office letterbox. Job done!
With regard to the previous tenant's fridge, I would suggest that you advise the landlord's agent that you will be commencing small claims court action against the landlord if your deposit is not refunded in full in (say) 14 days of vacating the premises.

P.P.

Doror
07-04-2008, 17:26 PM
Not sure if this will help at all, but in London, quite a few councils have a free white goods collection which includes fridges and freezers. Camden certainly does. Their policy is to physically remove it from your place if you are on the ground or first floor, otherwise it has to be left outside the property (I live on the 4th floor and the lift wasn't very big unfortunately for me!). It's a relatively easy thing to do without getting into arguments with people.