PDA

View Full Version : Landlord's brother-in-law is tenant in rent arrears!

enecc11
27-03-2008, 14:47 PM
Hi having a nightmare any advice greatly recieved.

Have rented a house for many years through an agent until my brother in law came along. He agreed to rent property for a 2 year period. This suited us both and i even gave him a reduced rent!! All was well for 11 weeks then he says he wants to leave. As he is my B.I.L i agreed he could leave on the condition he paid his rent for another 3 months therefore doing a 6 month tenancy instead of the 2 years. He agreed this was fair. Guess what... I thought i was being reasonable the payment date came no rent spoke to him he said he was paying but not enough funds that day that was 13 days ago with 12 more daily excuses. Is there any way i can claim the rent owing?? He has moved his belongings out but not handed back keys either.
Passed caring now that he is a relation!!

jeffrey
27-03-2008, 15:40 PM
Hi having a nightmare any advice greatly recieved.

Have rented a house for many years through an agent until my brother in law came along. He agreed to rent property for a 2 year period. This suited us both and i even gave him a reduced rent!! All was well for 11 weeks then he says he wants to leave. As he is my B.I.L i agreed he could leave on the condition he paid his rent for another 3 months therefore doing a 6 month tenancy instead of the 2 years. He agreed this was fair. Guess what... I thought i was being reasonable the payment date came no rent spoke to him he said he was paying but not enough funds that day that was 13 days ago with 12 more daily excuses. Is there any way i can claim the rent owing?? He has moved his belongings out but not handed back keys either.
Passed caring now that he is a relation!!
Sad to say but you'll have to begin County Court debt claim against him; see Money Claims Online Service.