PDA

View Full Version : Tenant left without paying last months rent!

Cameron
27-03-2008, 09:13 AM
A good friend of mine has just had a tenant vacate without paying the last month's rent.
Stupidly, he was slack and didn't organise a contract for the T to sign and didn't ask for a bond when they moved in.
He doesn't know the T's whereabouts but does have the address of the T's parents.
Is he within his rights to contact the parents? I suggested that they have nothing to do with it and it might not be the right thing to do.

What are his options? Should he just right it off and put it down to experience?

Thanks

P.Pilcher
27-03-2008, 09:22 AM
As he has no written lease signed by the tenant, he will have difficulty in satisfying a court that the tenant in fact failed to pay his last month's rent. I think that he would be best putting it down to experience and doing the job properly next time. His only realistic hope is to contact the ex-tenant's parents who may be sufficiently honourable to get the owing rent paid. When reading some of the posts on this forum, your friend should think himself lucky that he has got his property back in a reasonable condition!

P.P.