PDA

View Full Version : damage to tenants property

vantagex
18-03-2008, 09:13 AM
I had a water leak from a split immersion tamk in one of my flats.It was made safe the same night and new tank put in within 4 days (it happened on a friday night and a tank had to be ordered) The tennant is trying to claim £2000 for damage to his daughters toys and sentimental items stored in the bottom of the airing cupboard ( he has provided a list???). His lease states he is responsible for insuring his own personal items. At the same time i have issued a section 21 as i want the flat back and he owes over £1000 in unpaid rent.Am i liable to cover these items?..as a goodwill gesture i am prepared to write off the owed rent if he leaves before i have to evict him.Or should i just continue with the eviction and chase him for the money...Any advice please?...thanks

ashburnham
18-03-2008, 09:43 AM
The only way you could be possibly be liable is if the tenant informed you prior to the leak that the tank had a potential problem and needed to be replaced/repaired and you ignored this request.

Obviously this is not likely to be the case so you are not liable and, as you say, the tenant would be responsible in insuring their own contents (which is standard across the board).

Obviously goodwill gestures, etc may keep the peace but is entirely your decision and not a legal requirement.

vantagex
18-03-2008, 10:04 AM
thank you..i am now going to write to all my tenants reminding them about contents insurance. The goodwill guesture is a bit diplomatic as i know i have'nt got a chance of getting my money!!..

kingjacob
20-03-2008, 07:44 AM
ya... you can.........