PDA

View Full Version : Can landlord unilaterally move in with tenants?

12-03-2008, 19:20 PM
I have given my tenants their 2months notice 3 months ago and they are not going to move out, so i will have to go through the courts ect. However is there any law stating that i cannot move my furniture and belongings in and live in the spare bedroom with them so that they can maybe change their minds? After all it is still my house.

Grange
12-03-2008, 19:22 PM
Yes there is such a law: The Protection from Eviction Act 1977. Try it and you'll be up in court.

It is your house. Problem is, it is also theirs - and moreover it's their home and it's not your home.

12-03-2008, 19:25 PM
is there any other way I can get them out more quickly or the 3months its going to take in court?

Colincbayley
12-03-2008, 19:26 PM
is there any other way I can get them out more quickly or the 3months its going to take in court?

You issue notice, you wait for the notice to expiry, tenants move out, if tenants stay you go to court for a possession order, if tenants still stay, you call in the court bailiffs.
No other way.

12-03-2008, 19:30 PM
The tenants in question were vetted by my letting agency as 'a lovely couple who we have never had any problems with' so i said that was fine for them to rent from me. However i now need the house myself and issued them the notice and now they are refusing to go as they do not like any of the other houses the letting agency has offered them. Could i sue the letting agency?

Colincbayley
12-03-2008, 19:31 PM
Could i sue the letting agency?

Sue them for what? Not being a lovley couple!

Simple answer NO.

12-03-2008, 19:35 PM
Ok thank you very much guys i now know what i can and can't do. Oh the joys of being a landlord.

pcwilkins
12-03-2008, 19:36 PM
After all it is still my house.

You lent it to them, in return for them paying rent, remember?

So sadly unless and until you regain possession legally, you have no right to enter it without their permission, let alone to live there.

I hope you protected their deposit if necessary?

Anyway, I think you probably win the prize for the most ignorant LL ever, if that's any consolation.

Peter

Colincbayley
12-03-2008, 19:37 PM
Anyway, I think you probably win the prize for the most ignorant LL ever, if that's any consolation.

Peter

Way too harsh Peter!!:mad:

Ericthelobster
12-03-2008, 19:37 PM
The tenants in question were vetted by my letting agency as 'a lovely couple who we have never had any problems with' so i said that was fine for them to rent from me. However i now need the house myself and issued them the notice and now they are refusing to go as they do not like any of the other houses the letting agency has offered them. Could i sue the letting agency?Not unless the agency has done something negligent - do you have reason to suppose they have?

eg, if you found out that in fact they had been evicted for rent arrears from their last three properties, and the agency were aware of this and lied to you - otherwise you really can't expect to hold an agency responsible for every tenant who turns out to be less than perfect.

If they won't go when told, then they will be liable to pay the £150 court fee (and if necessary the subsequent £95 bailiff fee), so it might help if you point that out to them.

pcwilkins
12-03-2008, 19:41 PM

Well, do you know a more ignorant LL then?

Perhaps it was little harsh but really...for a LL to think it might be legal to move into T's home to drive them out is pretty impressive.

Peter

Colincbayley
12-03-2008, 19:42 PM
Well, do you know a more ignorant LL then?

Peter

As Chris Tarrent says 'it is only easy if you know the answer!'

12-03-2008, 19:43 PM
Not unless the agency has done something negligent - do you have reason to suppose they have?

eg, if you found out that in fact they had been evicted for rent arrears from their last three properties, and the agency were aware of this and lied to you - otherwise you really can't expect to hold an agency responsible for every tenant who turns out to be less than perfect.

If they won't go when told, then they will be liable to pay the £150 court fee (and if necessary the subsequent £95 bailiff fee), so it might help if you point that out to them.

I see what you mean but surely that won't matter to them as they are paying about 75pounds a month for the 3 extra months they will get to stay there.

pcwilkins
12-03-2008, 19:46 PM
As Chris Tarrent says 'it is only easy if you know the answer!'

...and what does "ignorant" mean? :D

Peter

pcwilkins
12-03-2008, 19:46 PM
I see what you mean but surely that won't matter to them as they are paying about 75pounds a month for the 3 extra months they will get to stay there.

They will be liable to pay the three month's rent as well.

Peter

Colincbayley
12-03-2008, 19:47 PM
...and what does "ignorant" mean? :D

Peter

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ignorant

But you meant that as an insult!

pcwilkins
12-03-2008, 19:50 PM
But you meant that as an insult!

How do you know what I meant? All I said was that OP was lacking in knowledge; which is a fact!

Peter

Colincbayley
12-03-2008, 19:54 PM
How do you know what I meant? All I said was that OP was lacking in knowledge; which is a fact! No need to have a pop at them then is there!

Peter

What was it someone was just saying 'People being sensitive today!'

vik2001
12-03-2008, 20:31 PM
i dont know about wanting to stay in the same room, i prefer my egg method. which is go there wearing a scream mask, and when the tenant opens the door 'egg em' and run. it will keep u fit, may even keep the tenant fit. chuck a few on the car on the way out, they be gone in no time.

pcwilkins
12-03-2008, 21:27 PM
What was it someone was just saying 'People being sensitive today!'

Did you not notice my tongue firmly in my cheek? It takes more than that to offend me :D

Did you just use coloured text when quoting instead of doing it properly?

Peter

ChrisG
13-03-2008, 00:21 AM

Yes - offer a fair financial compensation.

What LL and agents seem to forget is when moving the tenant has to find moving costs and another deposit because they cant get their old deposit back until say two weeks after they have vacated and the new agent/LL wants the deposit before they move in so a tenant could find themselves with 2.5K tied up in deposits especially as more and more agents are asking for a 6 weeks deposit. Add that to the months rent in advance!!! prehaps they just cant afford to move

Colincbayley
13-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Did you just use coloured text when quoting instead of doing it properly?

Peter
Yes, yesterday I was going through my blue period!

pcwilkins
13-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Yes, yesterday I was going through my blue period!

Time of the month, is it?

Peter

Bel
13-03-2008, 09:41 AM

I agree.
Even though the OP has much to learn, its my personal opinion that slagging them off undermines any positive advice you have to give.

It's very easy to misunderstand a joke in a forum and take offence, when offence was not actually intended. I've made that mistake myself. So as a rule of thumb, I find it best to keep personal comments to a minimum with members that you do not know.

pcwilkins
13-03-2008, 11:01 AM
I humbly retract my remark regarding the ingnorance of the OP and apologise whole-heartedly for any perceived offence.

Peter