- Leaving Early - I signed a new tenancy agreement ... (131989 views)
- Furnished or Unfurnished - What is the legal definition ... (124430 views)
- Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) I believe the TDS scheme ... (123561 views)
- Squatter's Rights - Someone has occupied my property for ... (119978 views)
- Repairs - Who is responsible for doing repairs in ... (119955 views)
- Assured Shorthold Tenancy Ends. What happens when my AST ... (119810 views)
- Accelerated Possession Procedure - My tenant is causing me ... (118481 views)
- Taxation of Property Income - I have recently puchased ... (115969 views)
- Earth Bonding - I called an electrician to do ... (112509 views)
- Re-development Ground - Section 25 Notice. My landlord has ... (111412 views)
- Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) I believe the TDS scheme ... (2012-05-10 21:55)
- Does a tenant need to give the landlord notice ... (2012-05-10 21:41)
- Bankrupt Tenant – it seems my tenant will be ... (2012-04-25 17:26)
- Letting with Pets – I instructed my letting agent ... (2012-04-25 17:18)
- Abandoned Possessions - My tenants have vacated the property ... (2012-04-25 17:08)
- Re-selling Electicity & Gas. My landlord is re-selling me electricity through his own meter and I suspect he may be overcharging me for it. What can I do?
The Office of Gas & Electricity Markets (Ofgem) introduced new legislation in January 2003 which governs the maximum resale price (MRP) of electricity and gas ...
- Re-selling Energy - As a landlord am I able to make a profit by re-selling electricity or gas?
Resale of Gas and Electricity The maximum amount that Residential Landlords or “resellers” are permitted to charge for gas or electricity is the amount they have ...
- Repairs - Who is responsible for doing repairs in a residential letting. My landlord says it's my responsibility to unblock my sink?
The tenancy agreement should spell out who is responsible for what when it comes to repairs and maintenance. However, under section 11 of the Landlord ...
- Rent Assessment Committee - What is a Rent Assessment Committee ?
There are five Rent Assessment Committees throughout England and more in Scotland & Wales. The Committees and Tribunals run by the Residential Property Tribunal Service (RPTS) (Telephone: ...
- Residential Tenancies - definitions. There are some confusing terms and some important dates surrounding the many types of residential tenancy - this Q&A should help to clear-up some of the confusion.
Aide-memoire re correct definitions - Residential Tenacies in England & Wales.RENT ACT 1977 - pre 15 January 1989s.1: Protected Tenancy= letting of house etc. as ...
- Renewal Fee - 12 month agreement, one tenant leaves after six months. Arranged for friend to take her place. Agent now wants to charge a finder's fee and set-up a new contract-payment roughly equal to one month's rent. Is this normal and acceptable?
With a joint tenancy, if one of the tenants leaves, the agreement terminates and a new one needs to be set-up with all the new ...
- Renege on Contract - My agent found us tenants for my property and we (landlord and tenants) signed up a tenancy agreement in May for the tenancy to commence in August. However, the tenants have now come back to us before that tenancy commences saying they no longer want it. How do we stand legally?
In this case no Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) exists at this time as the tenants have not yet taken up residence. The AST tenancy, a ...
- Riot Insurance – given all the recent trouble and as I have properties in affected areas I’m worried about being able to recover the cost of any damage. What is the situation with riot damage insurance claims for landlord’s premises?
This is a question on most landlord’s minds at this time. The short answer is that most building policies cover riot and civil commotion, unless ...
- Renting a Leasehold Flat - I want to rent out my leasehold flat but the managing agent says the freeholder won’t allow it. I know that other flats in the block are rented out, so what can I do?
Landlords usually prohibit sub-letting to safeguard the interests of other leaseholder occupiers, on the grounds that too many tenant occupiers diminish the value of the ...
- Rent a Room Scheme - I intend to let a room in my home to a lodger. Do I have to declare the income I receive to HMRC and if so how will this be taxed?
Any income you receive as rent MUST be declared to HMRC, at the very latest on the 6th of October following the tax year in ...
- Re-development Ground - Section 25 Notice. My landlord has served notice citing the re-development ground as the reason for ending my commercial tenancy, what should I do?
Under the provisions in the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 one of the limited number of grounds under which a landlord can re-claim possession of ...
- Rent Review - my landlord is asking for far more rent than I expected on review. Am I obliged to pay this?
Commercial leases are contractual - the parties agree to and are bound by its clauses and that includes rent review provisions. The rent review process ...
- Risk Assessments - I am a landlord with several Houses in Multiple Occupation. I have been told that I should be doing fire safety risk assessments for these properties but I’m not sure what this means. What do I need to do?
The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 came into force in October 2006. This is a major reform of fire safety regulations and now affects ...