Questions in Residential
Page 1 out of 11 Pages
- Does a tenant need to give the landlord notice in writing before he leaves an assured shorthold tenancy (AST) which has become periodic? Would there be any difference if the tenancy was still in a fixed term?
- Bankrupt Tenant – it seems my tenant will be declared bankrupt very soon. He is self employed and his business is in trouble. He says he will still be able to pay my rent, even though he is 3 months’ in arrears and has 6 months left on a 12 month tenancy. I’ve been told that I can’t insist on this as he will be protected and I won’t be able to evict either. Is this right?
- Letting with Pets – I instructed my letting agent to let my home whilst I’m working away. I specifically said no pets as I have expensive carpets and furniture but I now find the agent has let my house to a couple with two cats and a dog. What can I do?
- Abandoned Possessions - My tenants have vacated the property and have left behind quite a few possessions. Some of these items appear quite valuable, so I would hesitate to dispose of them as rubbish. How do I deal with this situation?
- Access to Information – I’m being told by the local authority and by utilities suppliers that the Data Protection Act prevents them supplying me with any information about my tenants. Are they right or is this just an excuse?
- Agents – My agent tells me that I’m not allowed to see the results of the credit checks and references he did on my tenant. Is this right? I suspect he may not have done these as my tenant has turned out to be the tenant from hell!
- Gas Boiler Safety - We rent out a one bed apartment in a block where the combination boiler is in an alcove in the bedroom. The boiler is behind a cupboard door in the alcove and the flue vents to an outside wall. The engineer has told me that there is no need to have a carbon monoxide (CO) detector as these boilers are sealed systems. Is this right?
- Data Protection – As a landlord doing my own lettings I’m conscious of the fact that I handle and keep some pretty sensitive information about my tenants. How do I stand legally regarding the Data Protection legislation?
- Names on Agreement - Should I have the Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement in one or both of my tenant’s names? They are a married couple and have asked for it to be put in her name only. They also have a child aged 14.
- Electrical Checks - A friend has told me that I must have the electrics PAT tested before I can rent out my property. Is this the case?